V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new E-Glide Classic is due to arrive in a couple of weeks . I'm planning on replacing the stock handlebar with the pullback model (I'm only 5'7") and there's one decision I need to make soon: Do I have the dealer do it or do I do it myself? Labor charge is about $300, so this is not a trivial decision!

What's involved? Any special tools/skills required? or Is it just a long process?

I'm fairly capable mechanically but willing to pay if it means avoiding a difficult job. Plus, I'll get a 15% discoung on p&l if they do it prior to delivery.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Roger

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Real basic stuff, no special tools or skills, just takes time, but not $300.00 worth of time. The book time is probably a lot closer to two hours then the five apparently quoted, but even if it takes you a full day you still would be ahead. The only thing I would recommend is that you put some masking tape around the connectors in the fairing to identify them if you don't know where they go. The amount of wiring in there may seem intimidating to some, but it actually is simple and goes together only one way.

It's basically the same procedure outlined in the FM for removing the radio and bracket. There are a few ways you can considerably cut the time using tricks of the trade. Things like removing the bar mounting blocks before the controls so as not to have to mess with any adjustments and not fully removing some components and just loosen them enough to move them a little to gain access.

The bars themselves are dirt cheap, something like $40.00 or so. The hardest part is to get the left grip off. LOL. I usually get a new one for the couple of bucks they cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rstover
May want to just consider adjusting the bar's back first off when they make the delivery....Liable to be just fine at that. Running stock bars on a 02 ultra and been just fine so far and at 5 2" not too may around build up as low to the ground as I
Enjoy your new ride there Roger

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
While your waiting get yourself a HD Factory Service Manual and read up on what is envolved with this and any other task you may under take latter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a double-check on the fit of the stock bars last weekend and I think they may be fine, after all. I'll try em out for awhile, then decide whether to change them.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts