V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 Heritage on order, scheduled for delivery in December 2002. I have been looking over the H-D accessories catalog, magazines, asking the sales reps and parts guys questions here and there. This is my first Harley and am wondering what I should have the dealer install on the bike before I take delivery? I am mechanically inclined, but have neve worked on a Harley before. I have a Yamaha Virago that I am practicing on right now, btw it is for sale.

I am planning on doing the headlight nacelle and trims, wheels, footboard inserts, grips, hand levers, combo tach/speedo, Gold Key package, chrome upper and lowers, chrome switche covers, and some other stuff I haven't decided on.

I am wondering what things can I do myself and what things should I not attempt. I catch on pretty quickly but seeing as I have never worked on a Harley before there will be a learning curve. I am planning on learning how to change my oil and do basic maintanence.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I say pipes, and a high flow air filter kit. Both are basically bolt on so i am sure you could do it. But you have to let the dealer flash the ECM so i just let them do it all. As for the shiney stuff, its just a matter of opinion, but it snowballs, change one thing then 4 other look bad and need to be polished for chromed too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts