V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a handgun but I have been thinking about purchasing one. I would like the smallest automatic. The purspose is for protection. I work late nights in Dade County which includes Miami. I have heard some "real" issues in the news about some of the characters that live in this county. What are the smallest ones with a decent price?

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Before you do anything else, go to a local range that provides instruction and get familiar with handguns. Try out a few. That's the right first step before listening to any other recommendations we might have about a specific model.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Why's it gotta be an semi-automatic? A 5 shot .38.357 fits the bill for what you need.
True enough on both of the above posts. I love my S&W Titanium 2" J-Frame hammerless revolver, but....I also love my tiny .32 ACP Seecamp semi-auto. I think the Seecamps might be made in .380 ACP now, too. The baby Glocks are also grand....got a G27 in .40S&W. What I carry depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is part of the plan

winpitt said:
Before you do anything else, go to a local range that provides instruction and get familiar with handguns. Try out a few. That's the right first step before listening to any other recommendations we might have about a specific model.
It is part of the plan. I like to do things the right way. I have previous military expereince and have dealt with many weapons. But I plan on enrolling a course. My riding buddies are all police officers so they encourage to do it right. Any advice will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
A Kel-tec P3AT is a very small and light .380 semi auto. I have one and it is dreamy. It basically is a copy of a Seacamp. IMHO revolvers are very heavy for every day carry.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
WEINERDOGBONE said:
A Kel-tec P3AT is a very small and light .380 semi auto. I have one and it is dreamy. It basically is a copy of a Seacamp. IMHO revolvers are very heavy for every day carry.
I pretty much agree. I've got the Keltec 32 and probably will get the 380.
Should have got the 380 but got a deal from a bud on the 32.
They're fun to shoot. My wife likes it way better than her S&W model 49
hammerless.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
harley albert said:
It is part of the plan. I like to do things the right way. I have previous military expereince and have dealt with many weapons. But I plan on enrolling a course. My riding buddies are all police officers so they encourage to do it right. Any advice will be helpful.
Good planning. 1st thing I would do is define how you're going to carry the weapon:

1. In the vehicle only?

2. On your person, ie, concealed carry? If yes, how?? pocket carry, ankle holster, shoulder holster, etc.

Questions like these will also influence your decision regarding what to get??

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
harley albert said:
I would like the smallest automatic. The purspose is for protection.
Best regards,
When you get into a class ask what caliber works best. If you go small/light you stand a chance of just pissin the perp off. Make sure you get regular practice in so the weapon has the ability to do what it's supposed to.

Best stopping power in (by statistical stopping power) order:
.44/.45
10mm/.40
.357/9mm
Anything below this I wouldn't carry (I carry a Glock 30 .45)

Shoot to stop, not to kill (trust me on this).

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
FWIW, I had a Kel-Tec 9mm. I hated it, and got rid of it. It felt cheap, wasn't of anywhere near the quality of any of my other handguns, and was awful to shoot. Maybe it was just the one I had, but based on that experience I'll never consider another Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glock 26 for me

I have gone through the KelTek and revolver. Carried both for about a year each. Never felt that the KelTek would be there if I really needed it. The 32 cal version is subject to rim lock if the magazine is not carefully loaded. My buddys 9 mm KelTek came appart at the firing range.
The 5 shot 38/357 is a good option but ONLY 5 shots makes me nervious if there are multiple perps. I then went to the Glock 26. It is 9mm and holds 10 rounds and runs like a sewing machine. It is a little larger but once you try a few carry modes you will find some that are effective for you. World class reliability with a decent caliber is hard to beat. I have put well over 20k rounds through this machine and it just keeps on going. I have a larger frame G19 that has over 50k rounds with no problems. The KelTek is good for 5k if that..................

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
winpitt said:
FWIW, I had a Kel-Tec 9mm. I hated it, and got rid of it. It felt cheap, wasn't of anywhere near the quality of any of my other handguns, and was awful to shoot. Maybe it was just the one I had, but based on that experience I'll never consider another Kel-Tec.
There were some problems with that 9mm. I remember that.

I think it's important to think about what you are going to use a concealed weapon for if you need it. I am only going to protect myself or my family. I'm not going to engage in a protracted shootout with some mugger.

It is much more likely that you will use a pistol for close range combat (prob 3yards or less). More likely, you will have to use it in a face to face confrontation. My Kel-tec is reliable. I have put plenty of rounds through it. There are some tune up procedures to smooth out the action for cycling rounds. I am very happy with it and I would never suffer the discomfort of carrying a .45 or a .357 concealed every day.

You guys can carry whatever you are comfortable with. I think a balance is important between comfort of carry vs usefullness.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
WEINERDOGBONE said:
You guys can carry whatever you are comfortable with. I think a balance is important between comfort of carry vs usefullness.
Ding ding ding.....we have a winner! A firearm is always a compromise between power, usefulness for the task at hand, weight/concealability (if needed) and shootability. Regarding handguns, a 6" .44 mag or a Desert Eagle would be nice for power, but they present problems in other areas. A tiny .22 pistol would be good for weight and concealability, but lacking in power. Pick your compromise.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
WEINERDOGBONE said:
It is much more likely that you will use a pistol for close range combat (prob 3yards or less). More likely, you will have to use it in a face to face confrontation.
I sure wish people would quit saying that. The comment that "it's much more likely" may be a widely held opinion, but I sure don't know of anything out there to support it. My own opinion is that the range is really 30 feet or less. If you're face to face within arms reach, forget it. Most people will never have a chance to deploy it. In other words, if it's really for home/family protection, that puppy is coming out as early as possible. It's most effective if you don't have to fire.

But, that's just my opinion.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
winpitt said:
I sure wish people would quit saying that. The comment that "it's much more likely" may be a widely held opinion, but I sure don't know of anything out there to support it. My own opinion is that the range is really 30 feet or less. If you're face to face within arms reach, forget it. Most people will never have a chance to deploy it. In other words, if it's really for home/family protection, that puppy is coming out as early as possible. It's most effective if you don't have to fire.

But, that's just my opinion.
I don't know, if someone is 30 feet away and telling me they are robbing me I am just going to laugh and look for cover (unless they have a red dot on me LOL). Most robberies/muggings are done pretty close.

In a house is a different story but there is also a lot less concealability issues in the home.

For concealed carry I love my seacamp .32 or my Charter arms bulldog pug .44.

And as for the face to face forget about it I think if you are of the mindset to protect yourself you are aware of your surroundings. Have a plan and trust your instincts.

Oh and practice practice practice.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
There are lots of kinds of robberies. Muggings are a different story.

I said 30 feet or less - not 30 feet. My point was that lots of folks seem to think that the most likely time you'll need a handgun is if you're standing right next to the attacker, and that just ain't so in general terms. And let's face it - more crime is probably prevented by demonstrating that you can handle them than by actually pulling the trigger. Actually pulling that trigger and putting somebody down is the last resort. I'd bet that on this site alone, there are lots more folks that have had to pull leather than those who have actually fired a shot in defense (speaking of civilian life).

I certainly do agree with the practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I don't know about you, but being shot with even a .22 is not on my hit parade. There are many people killed every year with small caliber weapons. What is the intent? Do you want to kill him or just stop him. I think that I would stop after about the 3rd shot pumped into me. Try the first shot, I would be gone. Don't discount small caliber weapons, they can kill, too.

·
not sober all the time
5,526 Posts
route66paul said:
I don't know about you, but being shot with even a .22 is not on my hit parade. There are many people killed every year with small caliber weapons. What is the intent? Do you want to kill him or just stop him. I think that I would stop after about the 3rd shot pumped into me. Try the first shot, I would be gone. Don't discount small caliber weapons, they can kill, too.
Don’t assume every criminal will be like you. Small caliber firearms may be effective if circumstances are ideal but I might not be that lucky when the time comes to draw my firearm. I’ll have nothing less than a .357 when the time comes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agreed

winpitt said:
There are lots of kinds of robberies. Muggings are a different story.

I said 30 feet or less - not 30 feet. My point was that lots of folks seem to think that the most likely time you'll need a handgun is if you're standing right next to the attacker, and that just ain't so in general terms. And let's face it - more crime is probably prevented by demonstrating that you can handle them than by actually pulling the trigger. Actually pulling that trigger and putting somebody down is the last resort. I'd bet that on this site alone, there are lots more folks that have had to pull leather than those who have actually fired a shot in defense (speaking of civilian life).

I certainly do agree with the practice, practice, practice.
Great observations........like you said just showing a gun will end 95% or so of any situations (yea, I know about the possibility of being charged with brandishing) but if you are unlucky to be in that 5% where showing you are armed and determined don't work you must be prepared to fight to the death. That means keep shooting until he is DEAD. Beware of the shoot till they stop....I buried a buddy that subscribed to that philosphy. Let the lawyers take care of the details....and do all the talking.......

I was afraid for my life. Please call my Lawyer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts