V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to get into a "project" I found this local bike but have a few concerns if I buy it. The #1 concern is the ability to get legal paperwork so I can register it in GA. The seller is Canadian.. The bike has bever been registered in the US. The seller can only provide a "Bill of Sale". I wonder what I will need to get a plate here.. I've searched the GA DMV page and it is useless ... Anybody ever buy a bike from outside US?

Price is around $6k with a 54 hardtail frame and an 80's Shovel engine... Kick start only

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey fellow Ga! I'm over in Cedartown. I think in GA they will go by the frame VIN. Any bike over 20 yrs old don't need a title, just a bill-of-sale. then you go get your own title. Good luck.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
I have never done it but heard that first thing is that you will have to do is pay US sales tax.
Contact the Sheriffs office and ask for a VIN number inspection and explain the deal before you ever exchange money. If the seller doesn't want to do that then walk away from the deal.

If you buy the bike and have nothing but a bill of sale and you get pulled over and have the numbers run and it turns up to be a stolen motorcycle guess what,, you are in possession of a stolen motorcycle and you will have the responsibility of convincing a judge that you didn't steal the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Bro of mine in Socal bought a used Roadking from a guy in Montreal two years ago and rode it visit me for Sturgis. Straight transaction on the bike but he had headaches getting it registered and tagged in LA. Took him over a year. Not sure what it ended up costing him but it seemed like a lot of headaches for the money to me.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Heres the deal on harley vins
pre 1970 had NO frame numbers the title went with the engine.
Post 1970 had frame and engine numbers but the title was to the FRAME.

So if your looking at a 54 frame with 80's engine , It will have to be inspected and titled as a special construction NOT a Harley-Davidson. The dmv will stamp the frame and issue a 2006 Ga title.
I'd keep looking if I were you.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input folks! But, I had to pass on the bike too many potential headaches with the DMV. I'm still in the market for a pre-evo bike to customise. I dont want to restore something. Vintage matching numbers are not a concern. Good legal paperwork is..:brows:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts