V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Hd sprint 83 Hd Iron head Sporty 94 Hd FXDL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 iron head Sporty has been stored for 3years now.She was road worthy when I put her away.Now I want too to start using her again .When I went to change the oil I found the oil tank empty and I’m positive it didn’t leak out I suppose the oil is laying in the engine.Iwas wondering if I were to pull the plugs and crank it over if that would circulate the oil back to the tank.Its Hd 50 weight so I need to get it worm before I can drain it.Any suggestions be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
you will have to get it running to get all the oil back to the tank,,, thast will probably entail taking the carb off and cleaning the low speed jet and passages for that circuit... there is a plug on thr bottom of the case,,, but it has sealer,, and is difficult to get out... if yohy you go this route,,, hest the plug,,,not the case,,with a propane torch, before attempting to remove the plug,,, iron heads owners frequently stripped the threads on the case removing these plugs with brute force

·
Registered
65 Hd sprint 83 Hd Iron head Sporty 94 Hd FXDL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tall T for your reply. I didn’t mention I did the carb already.I was hoping I wouldn’t need to mess with that plug I know they can be a real pain.I was wondering about cranking the engine over without The spark plugs if would circulate the oil back up into the tank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts