V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to Phoenix for a work thing and figured while I'm there I might as well stay a few days. A friend and I are hauling our bikes down and heading out for ride in the desert sunshine. Looks like Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point?) will be a destination. Any good tips or advice about do's and don'ts concerning Mexico? Good places to stay? Reservations needed or can we just find a place to stay? Mexican insurance? ok to buy it on the internet?
Mexican gas ok? (Not THAT gas, smartass).
Helmets required?
Any tips are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I have one. Don't leave the US without a passport. The new rules will not allow you back in to the U.S. without one. Photo ID's, driver licenses etc, which used to suffice, are no longer proof of citizenship because of the terrorism threat.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Depends. Sometimes they ask for a passport, sometimes they just ask for your driver's license. Many riders I ride with go to a big party in Rocky Point every year in November. Very few take passports. I would take one but often it's not necessary.

Also remember that even though Arizona is an open carry state (you don't need a firearm permit to openly carry a firearm), Mexico is most definitely not. Guns are not permitted in Mexico.

However, while your riding in our great state, you don't have to be an AZ resident to enjoy the open carry freedom. Just be sure it's in a holster and is conspicuous and can be seen. Don't let your coat conceal it (unless you have a FL concealed carry permit-AZ has reciprocity, I believe).

Be sure to have out-of-country insurance before crossing over.

While you're here, enjoy some of southern AZ's great roads by riding in and around Bisbee, Sonoita, Tombstone, Patagonia, and many other small towns.

:)

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I agree with the Passport part. I take mine with me when I travel. I have been to Mexico on trips and it is great. The only reservation is the cops. Obey the speed limits / etc. You should be okay.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
azrider said:
Depends. Sometimes they ask for a passport, sometimes they just ask for your driver's license. Many riders I ride with go to a big party in Rocky Point every year in November. Very few take passports. I would take one but often it's not necessary.

Also remember that even though Arizona is an open carry state (you don't need a firearm permit to openly carry a firearm), Mexico is most definitely not. Guns are not permitted in Mexico.

However, while your riding in our great state, you don't have to be an AZ resident to enjoy the open carry freedom. Just be sure it's in a holster and is conspicuous and can be seen. Don't let your coat conceal it (unless you have a FL concealed carry permit-AZ has reciprocity, I believe).

Be sure to have out-of-country insurance before crossing over.

While you're here, enjoy some of southern AZ's great roads by riding in and around Bisbee, Sonoita, Tombstone, Patagonia, and many other small towns.

:)

Be carefull with packing. While AZ is an open carry state, there are places where it is not allowed. Reservations (depends on the tribe), national parks, etc. Why go to Mexico?? There are more than enough beautiful destinations in this wonderful state to keep you busy.

Teu

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree with T. Many beautiful places to ride besides Mexico. You'll enjoy AZ just as much if not more.

T, I was just generalizing. You're right, in addition, schools, federal buildings, nuclear facilities (don't know where that would be in AZ), any store that explicitly states that firearms are forbidden, or if an owner or management of the stre requests you keep it outside.

:chopper:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
azrider said:
T, I was just generalizing. You're right, in addition, schools, federal buildings, nuclear facilities (don't know where that would be in AZ), any store that explicitly states that firearms are forbidden, or if an owner or management of the stre requests you keep it outside.

:chopper:
Don't forget bars :( . Even if you're not drinking.

T

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great tips.
I usually do carry while traveling in Az. I've had a couple of "experiences" with the State Troopers and was very surprised at the responses I got when I notified them that I had a weapon in the vehicle, one told me he prefered the law abiding citizens carry a firearm while travelling on his highways.

"Why go to Mexico?"
That's a good question. I guess I have this craving for a 'Rita on the beach.
I've been going to Phoenix for my job 4-5 times a year for a while now. Usually straight down I-17 to Phoenix and back. I've hauled my bike down twice. Mostly ridden in the mountains, globe to Payson, to Camp Verde, Prescott, etc... This looks like it will be my last trip so I'd like to see something new. I'm not ruling out the Tombstone area, sure sounds simpler that crossing the border.
Any other advice is welcome.

MAN, I JUST NEED SOME RIDING IN TEMPS ABOVE 40 DEGREES! I'M FREEZING MY A$$ OFF HERE!

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
booner said:
Great tips.
I usually do carry while traveling in Az. I've had a couple of "experiences" with the State Troopers and was very surprised at the responses I got when I notified them that I had a weapon in the vehicle, one told me he prefered the law abiding citizens carry a firearm while travelling on his highways.
Yep, the State Troopers here do some weird [email protected], like changing tires for a lady with a flat. (Damn'd Chauvanists!)

T

·
Registered
279 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
Be carefull with packing. While AZ is an open carry state, there are places where it is not allowed. Reservations (depends on the tribe), national parks, etc. Why go to Mexico?? There are more than enough beautiful destinations in this wonderful state to keep you busy.

Teu

DITTO!!! Good points.

·
What, me worry?
200 Posts
I don't know if it applies to the Puerto Penasco area, but generally speaking, when you drive into the interior of Mexico, you need to get a "permit" (i.e., bond) for your vehicle. If you don't outright own that vehicle, you need written permission from the lienholder to take it into Mexico. Like I said, Puerto Penasco may be different. My understanding is that a lot of the rules are different or just suspended on that stretch of highway, mostly in the name of encouraging tourism. And I don't know if the requirements have changed since NAFTA. But it's worth checking into if you plan to go.

I live on the border. I've traveled to Mexico pretty extensively in connection with my job for the last 24 years. Never had a problem before. Things have changed, though. If I have a choice, I won't go anymore. Not for the day, not for lunch, not for any reason (especially since tequila is cheaper over here now, anyway). Actually, I'd still go to Cancun, but nowhere along the border. And I certainly wouldn't take my bike across the bridge.

I'm sure someone's going to tell me how they ride over there all the time, and never have problems. I'm happy for you. I've heard too many scary stories about what's really going on over there to ever be comfortable again. When you cross the border, you have no rights...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Traveling In Sonora

Can't speak for Rocky Point, but I do go diving in San Carlos and can speak for traveling through Sonora. First, insurance is paramount. If you cause an accident in Mexico and don't have the proper insurance you're in a world of trouble. In Sonora, you may need a "Sonora Only" pass like regular cars do (dont know if this applies to bikes). You get this after you go 24 clicks into Mexico. They require a passport, vehicle registration, and vehicle title and plan to pay with a credit card. Take two extra copies of each document...one for the authorities and one for a back-up copy for you. The roads in Sonora are quite good, with the main north-south highway 15 being two lanes each way. This highway is patrolled regularly by the "Green Angels" who help stranded motorists. DO NOT drive after dark if you can avoid it. Nothern Sonora is famous for it's cattle production and you are driving through open range. Steer carcasses are a common sight on the side of the road...victims of cow-car collisions at night. The gasoline in Mexico is quite good and gas stations are abundant as they are owned by the Government. They still sell leaded gas, so be careful to get the right mix if you want unleaded. Lastly, the main highways are toll roads and you will need money to pay tolls along the way. Also expect to be stopped at a number of military checkpoints along the way. I will tell you that it can be un-nerving to be confronted by a 17 year old with an automatic rifle in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, could be a good ride...especially in the mountains of northern Sonora. Lots of twisties through beautiful hill country. Just play it safe. Oh....one last thing...watch out for "Topes". If you see this on a sign, rest assured that some of the most badass speed-bumps on the planet are just ahead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Booner, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I was just lucky enough to have all this information the first time I went down and the result was a worry-free first trip. I would love to ride the stretch from Tucson to Hermosillo Mexico...that is some really beautiful country. But I have to agree with others above...there is some awesome beauty in southern Arizona if you haven't tried it yet. Eastern New Mexico (Silver City / Gila Wilderness) is pretty awesome, too.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
If you are a member of AAA or have a friend that is, they can give you a real good run down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts