V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a spare gas tank I want to stretch for my 04 FLHTI. Ive read that this is done by welding tank extension or ears before painting.

My questions:
1. who sells these extensions/ears? (The local auto body will weld them on, then paint the tank , but I have to supply the parts.)
2. and since this is a new bare bones harley tank, will I also need to coat the inside of the tank?

Appreciate any suggestions/insight you might have.

Thanks
Jim
IBK Alaska Chapter

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
stretching tank

I am just about to tackle the same. I just purchased an extension made by Arlen Ness. Normally, i like Ness' parts but this part is kinda rough...it's going to take a lot of hammerring & welding (and mud) to make this work. Looks more like Arlen Mess. Anyway, I just got the part, and am going to have a buddy weld it on, it'll probably need a bit of custom fabbing to work w/ my Danny Gray seat, too. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of the part and tank later, as the before shot. I need to take off the old tank and fit the new one (mock it up) and mark where to weld it on to work w/ the seat and rear mounting tab, once that is done, it's welding time. Later, tim

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
There is a thread in here somewhere from Big Boyz Cycles with pics on a tank we stretched. May be in the sheetmetal section. If you can't find it PM springer- he put the post up.

Bean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts