V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been in the c and s forum but need help. Having a tough time staying sober this time around. Been around the prog since mid eighties but in hiatus for about 12yrs. Going thru a bunch of bs right now divorce w/kids, works not good, taxes and a bunch of other lame a$$ excuses to drink and don't really give a rats a$$ about much right now. Going to meetings but having a tough time following thru with it all. Any words of wisdom or help would be appreciated.
Mtnkarter

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
I overcame a nicotine addiction- I used dip for years. I just kept telling myself that somebody weaker than I overcame this addiction.

I don't know what it's like to have an alcohol addiction so maybe that's no help to you. But I do know that getting drunk all the time won't solve your problems. I bet your kids love you and they should be a damn good reason to find the necessary motivation.

Best of luck!

·
Finally
839 Posts
It's tough and you have to want sobriety to keep it. Keep going to meetings and keep listening. If you can't stay sober for a day try starting with minutes or hours at a time. In other words stay sober for 1 minute then another and so on. Time will pass and if you want it bad enough you will figure it out. If you feel the need to drink go to a meeting instead. I used to think AA was a crock until I hit my bottom and kept going to meetings. Lost my wife and kids because I would'nt give it up. I thought they were the problem and that the bottle was my friend. My kids did'nt even want to be around me at times. Today I have my sobriety one day at a time and my kids to. When things in life happen now it's not near as bad as it used to be. I have learned how to deal with Life on Lifes terms. Hang in there and if you want that drink call as sober person first or get to a meeting. Buch of sober folks around here also...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
mtnkarter said:
I've never been in the c and s forum but need help. Having a tough time staying sober this time around. Been around the prog since mid eighties but in hiatus for about 12yrs. Going thru a bunch of bs right now divorce w/kids, works not good, taxes and a bunch of other lame a$$ excuses to drink and don't really give a rats a$$ about much right now. Going to meetings but having a tough time following thru with it all. Any words of wisdom or help would be appreciated.
Mtnkarter
You can start by linking the troubles you're having (taxes, marriage, work, attitude...etc) to your alcohol use...it's my bet that drinking contributed to either the creation of or the worsening of all the above! Play the tape of your life though to the present, mark where alcohol has caused you problems.

Now that you recognize the issues you need to get some sort of a program together for your sobriety...sadly few if any of us can defeat this disease alone...

Unless you are willing to make hard decisions and follow through on them you are destined for failure...you need to know that upfront!

We are here for ya...feel free to ask of us anything you might need to ask...here's my cell number, please call if you feel the need to talk directly to someone: 703 399 0677

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Ya, I'll bet also that alcohol is related to many of your present problems. and your living w/o a program has made it happen. You will have to get a program going, find a sponsor with some years. Attend the meetings instead of drinking.

Mainly, don't ask why when given suggestions. That is your ego coming out. Only ask How? How can I use what I learn to better handle life on it's terms and how it is dealt to me. How can I do the right thing? You will have to practice Humility and total surrender. Post here to get it off your chest or better yet, Get some meetings and put it on the table.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx for the support all! It feels good just knowing you can reach out to people you don't even know over the internet and get support, amazing program we have, now if I can just get it, and yes surrender is alot of the battle just not always easy. Been here before just different circumstances,don't remember it being this difficult. Thanks again you all are awesome. Thnx for the # swmnk don't be suprised if I use it.
Mtnkarter

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
mtnkarter said:
Thnx for the support all! It feels good just knowing you can reach out to people you don't even know over the internet and get support, amazing program we have, now if I can just get it, and yes surrender is alot of the battle just not always easy. Been here before just different circumstances,don't remember it being this difficult. Thanks again you all are awesome. Thnx for the # swmnk don't be suprised if I use it.
Mtnkarter
I gave it to you in hopes that you will feel the need...that is following through...I'm certain if asked most or all in this forum would offer the same...

It's difficult this time because it occurs to you that this time you have to be real about it, I'm betting that in all your attempts before you left a back door open...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
mtnkarter said:
Thnx for the support all! It feels good just knowing you can reach out to people you don't even know over the internet and get support,.................. Thnx for the # swmnk don't be suprised if I use it.
Mtnkarter
Believe me you know us, we're just in different stages from where you are. Some of us are your future and probably more of us were your past. Use the number he didn't give it to you to look good in front of us. He gave it to you to help you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
advice?

Saw a friend celebrate 21 years today.
He had some great advice. "If you are struggling, find somebody to struggle with you".

Hoping for the best for you. At some point, the softer easier way is to stay sober.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We just don't see it coming but thats the way it is. If you are doing this for you and not any other reason and you really want it then you will make it. Ask someone with sobriety to be your sponsor-someone you can talk to on the hard days. Go to all the meetings you can. Listen to the old timers. They are hard but they know what they are doing-in most cases any way. If you need to talk send me a message and we can go on msn chat. I didn't think I could do it but I now have 13 years behind me. Like others said do it a min. at a time if need be. You are not lone
jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts