V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(TC88B, Andrews 37G+Wood's Key)

When I install the 2 deg. advance key, Which way do I want to move the gear, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

How can something that seems like it should be so simple be this confusing? Mustt have thought about it too long...

DLR

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Doesn't the advance/retard cam key make it more likely to sheer? I just read somewhere here that some keyed cams(probably only a few out of thousands) have been sheering the keys and these advance/retard keys seem like it could be easier to do because of less actual "meat" connecting the cam half with the gear half.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little Bear,
Simple enough. Thanks for the link. Crystal clear..
Thanks again.
DLR

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Doesn't the advance/retard cam key make it more likely to sheer? I just read somewhere here that some keyed cams(probably only a few out of thousands) have been sheering the keys and these advance/retard keys seem like it could be easier to do because of less actual "meat" connecting the cam half with the gear half.
This was in reference to chain cams with a key, not gear cams.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
YankeeBob said:
This was in reference to chain cams with a key, not gear cams.

DLR was asking about the 37Gs, which are the geared cams. But either way it would be the same, right? An offset key is an offset key.

If you look at the diagram from LittleBears link it obviously has less "meat".

Anyway, I was just curious.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
DLR was asking about the 37Gs, which are the geared cams. But either way it would be the same, right? An offset key is an offset key.

If you look at the diagram from LittleBears link it obviously has less "meat".

Anyway, I was just curious.
Well, since I am not an expert, I can only refer you to this thread...specifically post #6. Use your best interpretation.
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=69653

YB

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
YankeeBob said:
Well, since I am not an expert, I can only refer you to this thread...specifically post #6. Use your best interpretation.
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=69653

YB

Ya know, I read that thread but I misunderstood part of it. I see what you were talking about earlier.

It still seems to me though that the advance key could be a week point, even in geared cams, but since no one else has replied I guess it's not a cause for alarm.

Thanks Bob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts