V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This procedure is discussed vaguely at best, in any of the instructions/tech articles I've read. Need some guidance...

I know the advance key goes in the large cam drive gear on the outside of the cam support plate. I know the direction that I want to move the gear in order to advance.

My basic question is, After I line the cams up dot to dot, (On the cam gears), when I press them into the bearings in the cam support plate, then I install the 2 deg. advance key in the large cam drive gear and then line the dots up between the crank gear and cam drive gear? The dot to dot alignment between the cam gears on the inside of the cam support plate is to ensure the cams are installed in the proper relationship to each other.

Advice, corrections, please...I know this isn't rocket science, just want to hear it from the experts....:wootdnc:

Thanks,
DLR

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The cams are aligned dot to dot (rear). The key goes in the drive gear in front and the driven gear for the cams is either advanced or retarded to line up the dots . Since the drive gear is now advanced or retarded 4 degrees...lining up the marks on it and the driven gear advances or retards the cams. Got it??

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Syclone,
Exactly what I thought. Wanted to hear it from someone who was in the know. Want to be sure to get it right the first time.
Thanks,
DLR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts