V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was servicing my 01 FXD today and couldn't help but notice how adjusting the primary was kind of a pain in the butt.My Sporty had adjustment screw which made it pretty easy.Has anyone found an easy way to adjust the tension shoe? Maybe next time I'll just take off the outer primary. Thanks !

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
bub said:
Was servicing my 01 FXD today and couldn't help but notice how adjusting the primary was kind of a pain in the butt.My Sporty had adjustment screw which made it pretty easy.Has anyone found an easy way to adjust the tension shoe? Maybe next time I'll just take off the outer primary. Thanks !
Bub, I guess I've only had to adjust mine a couple of times now....I've actually done more checking than adjusting. But I'm with you, if there is an easy way I'd like to know about it. Maybe there is a special tool for holding the tensioner up while tightening the nut. Everything that I've used to hold it up with kinda kocks it to the front then when I tighten the nut the chain ends up being to tight or to loose. It takes several tries for me to get it right. It may be that the Harley techs at the shop pull the primary cover but I would doubt it.

Later,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fifthgear. I was hopeing I wasn't the only one that thought it was a pain. I think when the next service comes around I'm going to add the Hayden primary chain tensioner. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You don't hold it up. You push it in, with a big screwdriver or something, parallel to the socket and extension, the serrations will self align and keep it from moving down.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
You make it sound easy Hippo. I guess it really isn't that bad. I'm trying to think what it is that gives it that cramped space feeling. The mid control shifter has the splined shaft running through this area on my dyna. I wonder if it is easier to adjust on a bike without this. Thanks Hippo

Later,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem I've been having is getting the tensioner away from the backing plate all the while putting upward pressure on the shoe.
The only way that works for me is once I get the locknut loose I take a pair of pliers and pull out and up at the same time on the shoe. It takes me awile doing it this way because I either go too far or not enough.I guess it's not that big of a deal since doesn't need adjusting that often.
Thanks for help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts