V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to adjust my passing lamps on the 2001 Heritage softail. I was loaned a socket with a cut out piece on the side that a friend of mine with a 99 Heritage uses to adjust his lamps. the socket is a 9/16 and Harley tells me that the 99 and the 2001 have the same size nut to loosen, but they could not tell me what size it is. I think they just did not want to look it up. Has anyone had any experience with this, as when I tried by taking the turn signal lamps off with the allen screws and putting the socket in the pipe to loosen the nut holding the passing lamps it just slipped like the socket was too big. Does anyone know what size I should use and where to get these sockets for the 2001 FLSTC
Thanks for the help, Bob

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone know what size I should use and where to get these sockets for the 2001 FLSTC

I don't have the parts manual for a 2k1 but if you look up the part number at the counter in the parts book, then go to the rear of parts manual and cross ref the part number in the hardware section it will tell you the size of the nut. Snap on sells the slotted deepwell sockets.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It should be a 9/16". I made a socket from a deep 9/16" ($2 pawn shop) and cut a slot with a die grinder (w/cut off disc). The slot could also be cut with a hack saw.
If that borrowed socket had too thin a wall it could spread open and slip just as you describe. If you make your own tool look for a socket with the thickest wall and cut the skinniest slot that will still allow the wires to pass through.
You're also going to need your entire inventory of foul language to accomplish the adjustment along with a third arm (complete with a six fingered hand). No Joke!!
Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Note: just noticed the OP post date - sorry guys, but Merry Christmas anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts