V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my FXST to the dealer to have the 1000 mile service done, and ever since, I can't get the bike to idle without it stalling on me, even after warming it up and riding for long periods. I have to leave the choke out a small amount to keep it running. Where are the carb adjustment screws on an '05 FXST? I'm not paying the dealer to fix something that they screwed up in the first place.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I dont know a lot about your bike as I have an XL, but I would not use the enricher to make your temp adjustment. There is a star adjuster under the twist grip which will hold the throttle up to where you set it and does not enrich the mixture. The dealer should make the adjuastment no sweat, no charge. Its probably an idle adjustment.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Carb Idle

Gee.., another service at a dealer.., and your bike dosent run right after they`ve touched it...hmmmmmm.

What dealer did you take it to...??? Surely dont wanna see anyone else go there for service.

Carb idle speed screw may have been backed off by them. (???)
(screw location at the right side of carb - philips head screw)
(get a flashlight.., look near the throttle cables at the carb., you`ll see it)
(turn the screw clockwise to bring idle speed up)

Air Fuel Mixture possibly incorrect.
(has the plug been knocked out of the carb yet.???)
(located under carb - behind the float bowl)

How does your bike run other than the idle problem...?????

I think i`d find someone that can do the carb adjustments properly very quickly. If they did extensive carb fondaling.., you may be running lean and possibly burn up your engine...!!!! Dont take a chance.., get it to someone quickly..!!! Record in your notes of what the fix was and take it back to your dealer that fugged it up.., an rub their nose in it an get your money back on the labor.

Here`s somethin people might not have ever seen or heard of...!!! (DUH...!!!)
My wife took her bike in for its first service.., and they tightend the primary chain so damned tight that the bike just about left her on the side of the road. Terrible noise`s after 5 miles.., and the vibration was unbelievable..! Not to mention after 5 miles away from that dealer., the bike wouldnt idle either...!!!! (carb was fondled by them bigtime too..!!!!)
Needless to say.., neither of our bikes have ever gone back to the dealer for work. We stand a greater chance of doing a much better job on our own with a shop manuel at home...!!!! (at least we know how to read a manuel - lol - have you ever seen the dealer use a shop manuel.., its pretty funny looking when they dont know what to look for in ther- lol) I was at the dealer one time.., and i had to show them where to find the torque specs for the top cover of the EFI on my wifes bike to fix the float problem in the gas tank. And then they didnt even torque it properly anyway.

Best advice.... go get a shop manuel for your bike and do the work yourself. You`ll save your bike from the butchers an wanna bee`s...!!!!!

:badmood:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure which "plug" you're talking about. Nothing has been done to the carb, other than the adjustment they did at the 1000 mile service. I've put on a few miles since the service, but the idle problem has really come about since it has gotten colder.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Cimby1 said:
I'm not sure which "plug" you're talking about. Nothing has been done to the carb, other than the adjustment they did at the 1000 mile service. I've put on a few miles since the service, but the idle problem has really come about since it has gotten colder.
And the colder it gets the $hittier (leaner) it'll run.
Look under your carb for a plug similar to this http://members.aol.com/cloudhid/carb.jpg
if there is one knock it out.
If there isn't, the screw sits inside.
Use a small flathead.
Go clockwise till u feel screw "sit". Count turns..usually no more than 2.
Go counterclockwise, give it an extra turn.
Go from there.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Flyer Please change the pic link to a CV40 carb

Flyer said:
And the colder it gets the $hittier (leaner) it'll run.
Look under your carb for a plug similar to this http://www.dansmc.com/carb_plug1.jpg
if there is one knock it out.
If there isn't, the screw sits inside.
Use a small flathead.
Go clockwise till u feel screw "sit". Count turns..usually no more than 2.
Go counterclockwise, give it an extra turn.
Go from there.
:nono: Yo Flyer.., lets try not to confuse the guy. That link you put up in the thread for him to look at isnt even a close description to a CV40 carb. Wrong place for the idle mixture plug. That picture is an old roundslide mikuni carb. See if you can find him the correct picture for him to go by would be way more helpful to him and repost it.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Did you have some exhaust or an airclener (or both) put on at or near the same time? If so you could be running really lean without having the carb retuned.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Wont idle

Cimby1 said:
Climby1..,
these harleys are pretty lean from the factory due to EPA rules & regulations. I suspect you`ll need to adjust the idle mixture due to your colder temps. Then re-set the baseline idle. Sounds like to me your possibly a bit lean.

Has your bike had the pipes cored.. or air cleaner been modified..??? If any of these done will make your bike more lean also. Let us know how you make out.

These guyz on this forum are very well educated on harleys here and will surely help you in the right direction to get you going. Be sure to get a shop manuel. They are VERY helpful and well worth the money...!!!

You can also go onto ebaymotors and find them cheaper too...!!! Post your email address and i can send you an ebay page to get a manuel cheaper.

Be sure to tell us what year bike you have too...!

later..,
larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts