V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a 95 build on my 01 Night Train, I went with Crane adjustable pushrods.The pushrod instructions state to screw the adjusting nut out until all the slack is gone then turn out 18 flats or 3 turns. Let sit 10 mins before turning engine due to lifter bleeding down. My question is what if your lifter was already bled down before adjusting pushrod, do you still turn the 18 flats? or does it make any difference.Any help would be welcomed.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Still adjust the pushrod the same way. The 18 flats will adjust the cushion in the lifter to about .100". This is the correct adjustment. You can tell if the lifter is bled down by turning the pushrod with your fingers. If after the adjustment you can't turn the pushrod with your fingers it is because the lifter is pumped up still and holding the valve open and when you try to turn the pushrod, the valve spring is exerting too much force and you can't turn it by hand. After the lifter bleeds down, the spring pressure is released from the pushrod and thus it turns freely by hand (fingers).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts