V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Ultra had 18000 miles when a lifter went down. After much research, I replaced the lifters with Black Ops. I chose to go with SE adjustable pushrods. Simple install, no taking the top end apart, just adjust the pushrods and you're ready to ride.
NOT SO FAST! Two of the miserable rock-hard jam nuts broke in half, left me sitting along the roadside.
I changed the pushrods to Andrews adjustables. After riding about 2000 miles, it was hot as blazes in Charleston, SC...here comes the valve clattering. I had it towed to Low Country HD in North Charleston. Those folks treated me great. They had me back on the road within 2 hours. The problem was the jam nuts had come loose, not broken. I had used blue Locktite and tightened them very well, no torque wrench, but tight enough to last 2000 miles. What's up with that?
Have any of you folks had experiences like this? I sure wish I had gone the long way and used the stock pushrods.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
You should have used red loctite because blue isn't heat resistant.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Smith Brothers adjustable pushrods running for 5 years, no loctite, no problems.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
wow!! what, another problem with SE pushrods???? can you hear the sarcasm? I cant believe they haven't fixed this problem yet. Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only pushrods I have heard of coming loose is the SE ones. I have used red loctite also with good results. I would put just a drop on the side of the nut, not the threads. I had to take mine out of the motor through the top and lock them in a vise to break the nut loose. I think smith brothers is gonna be my next set, only heard good things about them, they also make pushrods for nascar engines.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
exactly why, I went with perfect fit in my latest build. less parts more reliable.
@gree: I despise adjustables, added weight to the valve train and just something else to take a ****.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts