V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for info on the need of adjustable pushrods to be used on a 95ci motor with the heads milled to achieve 9.8:1. Bean milled my heads to get the compression using stock HD gaskets. He sugested that I use them considering the amount of materal taken off my heads but I just wanted to know who uses stock pushrods and who doesn't?

I may add the 37G cams later if I don't get the power I'm looking for or money come avalible so the adjustables would be helpful there.

Any comments? :coffee:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
if you milled your heads by very much, yer gonna need adjustables or if you know how much they were milled, you could bet some perfect fit ones. Do you know approximately how much was milled off?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
RK05 said:
I was looking around for info on the need of adjustable pushrods to be used on a 95ci motor with the heads milled to achieve 9.8:1. Bean milled my heads to get the compression using stock HD gaskets. He sugested that I use them considering the amount of materal taken off my heads but I just wanted to know who uses stock pushrods and who doesn't?

I may add the 37G cams later if I don't get the power I'm looking for or money come avalible so the adjustables would be helpful there.

Any comments? :coffee:
It depends on how much was milled off the heads. Say .030 was milled off the heads, you could use -.030 perfect fit pushrods and be done with it. Technically, with only .030 milled (just for example) you could also use the stock pushrods and there should still be plenty of cushion in the lifter. I prefer perfect fit as I like to see the .100 cushion that comes stock. The drawback is if you change the cam, the heads have to come off. If you use adjustables, the amount milled is meaningless and the heads don't have to come off later to put a cam in. If you were going for all out performance, the perfect fit are stronger. That isn't the case here and adjustables will add some convienence later on.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Springer-
From what I remeber from what bean said a number of .060 comes to mind. I don't know if this was a finished cc'ed number or how much was taken off. Bean was going to E-mail me the number when he got a chance to.

If I would be able to use the stock pushrods I would just cut them out when/if I would change cams so the perfect fit would be a waste of money unless they are cheap to destroy.

I will probably just go with the SE quick pushrods since I don't know what I will be doing down the road. This way I should be ok on the amount of preload and have the ability to change cams without taking off the heads.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
RK05 said:
Springer-
From what I remeber from what bean said a number of .060 comes to mind. I don't know if this was a finished cc'ed number or how much was taken off. Bean was going to E-mail me the number when he got a chance to.

If I would be able to use the stock pushrods I would just cut them out when/if I would change cams so the perfect fit would be a waste of money unless they are cheap to destroy.

I will probably just go with the SE quick pushrods since I don't know what I will be doing down the road. This way I should be ok on the amount of preload and have the ability to change cams without taking off the heads.
I spoke with Bean after I posted and he also told me .060 was removed. They do make a perfect fit -.060 that would work (~$120). But as you mentioned, changing the cam later will be easier if you use adjustables now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts