V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some advice for anyone using adjustables - get them tight! This was the first time I've used them, and thinking they might be fragile, I didn't tighten them as much as I should have. Luckily I wasn't too far from home when they loosened up. I was about 3 blocks from the house when I heard a loud ticking noise. Thought it was the engine, but pulled the front pushrod cover off and found it was very loose. Checked the pushrod to make sure it wasn't bent and everything looked good. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything else. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Amen, brother.....I had one come un-adjusted after a thousand or two miles. However, mine ended up getting bent and had to be replaced.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
pipes said:
Just some advice for anyone using adjustables - get them tight! This was the first time I've used them, and thinking they might be fragile, I didn't tighten them as much as I should have. Luckily I wasn't too far from home when they loosened up. I was about 3 blocks from the house when I heard a loud ticking noise. Thought it was the engine, but pulled the front pushrod cover off and found it was very loose. Checked the pushrod to make sure it wasn't bent and everything looked good. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything else. Anyone else have this happen?
yep. been there, done that.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Happens a lot. I check mine a few times a year just for piece of mind, since I ride several thousand miles a year, usually far from home. It only take a minute or two each to check em, so it's worth it.

·
Banned
871 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
I put Locktite on my the second time around.
That's a good idea. I'd use the medium or light strength type, though. If you make them stick too hard and you'll round the nuts off trying to loosen them later. :)

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I had the same problem after only 700 miles. It was under warranty so I told them to take out the adjustables and put in perfect fits. Price was cheap and I never have to look back anymore.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Ok stupid question time....

If you put in perfect fit, are they linked to the size of the cam? I assumed the lifters would compensate for different lift cams.

I thought the adjustable were to make changing a cam easier without the need to pull the heads, and also allow different cams without having to worry about matching them.

I feel even stupider asking this now....I havent had to change them so I dont have the expereince.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I tightened them good this time, only thing is I got in a hurry and when I went to readjust them, I didn't make sure I was at TDC on the compression stroke. I was at TDC on the Exhaust stroke. Of course when I went to start the bike, tick tick tick. Talk about frustrating. Oh well, she's running good now.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
After I tighten mine, I use the green locktite. The kind that wicks into the threads. And I have had one come loose I thightened, without using locktite, and one a shop tightened.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
tibs said:
Ok stupid question time....

If you put in perfect fit, are they linked to the size of the cam? I assumed the lifters would compensate for different lift cams.

I thought the adjustable were to make changing a cam easier without the need to pull the heads, and also allow different cams without having to worry about matching them.

I feel even stupider asking this now....I havent had to change them so I dont have the expereince.

Good question, all I know is what the dealer told me. I didn't want them to ever come loose again so I went with the not adjustable ones and yes they did have to pull the rocker covers off to install them where you don't have to with the adjustables.

So now I have a spare set if needed too

·
Banned
871 Posts
tibs,

I agree with wildly.

Problem is, if you change cams again, you'll need new pushrods.

I use adjustables, but not the EZ install type. I just don't think they look as strong as the S&S adjustables that you have to pull the rockers to install. The S&S ones cost under 100 bucks, too.

I've never had a problem with them coming loose with loctite. You should check them at least a couple times a year anyway, to make sure the lifters are in good shape. It only takes a couple minutes to check, and about 5 minutes per lifter to adjust. No big deal.... :)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
ToddM said:
You should check them at least a couple times a year anyway, to make sure the lifters are in good shape. It only takes a couple minutes to check, and about 5 minutes per lifter to adjust. No big deal.... :)
You only need to check pushrod adjustment on bike with solid lifters. The rest of us set them and forget them.

·
Banned
871 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
You only need to check pushrod adjustment on bike with solid lifters. The rest of us set them and forget them.
Good for you and the "rest of us"? Whoever that might be. :D

I know most riders don't need to check them, but I want to check them. That's my choice and also what I recommend to others. If they don't want to do it, that's fine with me. Apparently you've never been stuck out in the boonies with a bad lifter or bent valve from a pushrod loosening up. In many cases, while inspecting them, you'll notice that something isn't right before a major failure occurs.

I check mine as part of my oil change intervals. It only takes a few minutes and enables me to catch any loose pushrod adjuster locknuts before they become a major problem. I don't check the actual adjustment, just the condition and security of the parts. If the engine seems to be running rough and is making some (louder than usual) ticking noise, then I'll loosen the pushrods and check for possible needle bearing damage.

I've built and owned several bikes with solids and yes, you have to check them a lot more often, but it still doesn't hurt to look at the hydros, too. This is especially true if you do as much riding as I do... 20+ thousand miles per year, and I ride my bikes hard. I guess the typical weekend warrior wouldn't have to worry about them, though. -2$en#e-

I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. A few minutes time spent checking things out now can save you several hours walking or sitting on the side of the road if something craps out when you are far away from home or any shop. My detailed inspection procedures must be from my 27 years of working on jet aircraft..... along with a mild case of OCD. LOL! Doesn't bother me. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts