V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Drag Specialties mini Tac...with 4 wires and a small drawing...and I am going to hook it up to my 2008 Dyna.

Where and what wires am I looking for on the Dyna?...am i splicing into wire harness?

Drawing says to hook green wire to negitive side of the coil...?

Anywhere to go for better instructions?

Thanks
est.1954

Me hates electrical stuff!.....hit it with a hammer and call an electrician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont Have to cut your harness

well this 4 wires there should be instructions in the package
one wire usally green to comand ground negitive on coil is RPM wire
and other 2 are most probley lighting for tack

hope this helps

Ed

I have a Drag Specialties mini Tac...with 4 wires and a small drawing...and I am going to hook it up to my 2008 Dyna.

Where and what wires am I looking for on the Dyna?...am i splicing into wire harness?

Drawing says to hook green wire to negitive side of the coil...?

Anywhere to go for better instructions?

Thanks
est.1954

Me hates electrical stuff!.....hit it with a hammer and call an electrician.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
n/m i think i found what you have.

black to ground
red and yellow (tie together) and connect to orange wire in 4 pin (the pin number i believe is #3 and is labeled on the back of the plug) square plug located under seat at battery
green connect to neg side of coil or to pink wire in harness on back of speedo

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've heard different terminologies on the 'negative' side of coils depending if it's on cars or bikes. But my old Cobra tach hooked into the wire coming from the ECM to the Front Cylinder terminal of the Coil. Of course that doesn't really make a lot of sense unless you are looking at a wiring diagram. On my 07 Dyna it was a Blue-Orange wire on the one end of 4 wires going in the Molex connector at the coil.

My coil hook up had 4 wires coming to it,

one was the power from the system relay, ------------
then the ion sensor wire, -----------------------------
then the rear plug wire -------------------------------
then the front plug wire (which the tach hooked to)----

I would call Drag Specialties and ask them what they call the negative side of the coil.

I like to use that Silicone self sealing tape to wrap up the crimp or solder since if you ever have to take it apart electrical tape is a gooey mesh.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
precisely why I said to go to the pink wire on the back of the speedo.

·
Registered
169 Posts
precisely why I said to go to the pink wire on the back of the speedo.
Yea that's cool, they must have changed the colors on 2008, my 07 doesn't have a pink wire in the console. In fact on the schematic it only has 3 occurances of a pink wire (also with a stripe) and that is the 02 sensors and the heat sensor.

I took my Cobra tach off and replaced it with a Dakota speedo replacement. The cobra read good rpms and didn't bounce a lot like some of the cheaper tachs. But the sun reflected off the chrome cover directly into my eyes around high noon for couple hours. The Dakota was $334 bucks but it is nice, have everything right in the speedo circle, tach included.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
n/m i think i found what you have.

black to ground
red and yellow (tie together) and connect to orange wire in 4 pin (the pin number i believe is #3 and is labeled on the back of the plug) square plug located under seat at battery
green connect to neg side of coil or to pink wire in harness on back of speedo
Ok..but I'm still not sure ...Pin#4 how am I hooking this up ...Square plug??? Am I splicing into wires or am I plugging in.

Do I need to get a plug?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts