V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does any body have any experience doing this and how did it work out.
I did get a list of the parts involved several years back and now I'm giving it new consideration.

Parts list:
50603-74A FootBoard
50660-85 Front Footboard Brac
50662-85 Rear Footboard Brack
50634-85 Footboard Support, R
50664-85 Rear Footboard Bra

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gary Mintz said:
Does any body have any experiance doing this and how did it work out.
I did get a list of the parts involved several years back and now I'm giveing it new consideration.

Parts list:
50603-74A FootBoard
50660-85 Front Footboard Brac
50662-85 Rear Footboard Brack
50634-85 Footboard Support, R
50664-85 Rear Footboard Bra
Harley originally offered them on the FXRP police bike. I have seen complete kits pop up on ebay from time to time. They look entirely different than the set I got of a late model FXDP for my 2003 FXDL. Check out ebay and see what you can dig up.

Tim

·
Registered
487 Posts
sounds like the fxrd fxrt board set up they work good

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had a set of custom chrome floor boards that mounted on the hwy peg mount ,, they had dog bones that let adj them ,,,, if you cant find the FXRP boards i would guess if you have a hwy peg mount,,, the custom chrome ones would work well ,, i was happy with the ones i had on my lowrider ...and i even had forward controls ... I think you could get them to work on your FXR just fine ... rat

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
The brackets are no longer available fron HD, and no dealer has them sitting on their shelves. There is a complete set of used brackets, boards and the rear brake pedal up on ebay right now. They usually go for $400-$500. The high bidder right now is from Elvis place hdparts, he will pay big money for them now and then sell them higher later.

There is another option if you want to put boards on a FXR. Harley offered a bracket (#50648-84, Floorboard Kit For FXR Touring Models, $247.99 in the 91 Parts and Acc. catalog) that is X shaped and it mounted under the frame with 2 "half moon" clamps and 4 U bolts. The bracket has the other half of the clamps welded to it and they face up. It places the boards a little lower than the other setup does and you can adjust it foreword and back a couple of inches to where it suits you best. A place in Canada must have a ton of them, they have the "X" bracket up quite often on ebay and it usually goes for $80-$100.

I bought one from the place in Canada. It was in the original HD box but did not include the foot boards, the U bolts, the instructions or the 2 "half moon" caps that would mount on top of the lower frame tubes to hold the bracket on. I have not mounted it yet as I have the bike apart for painting. I think that 4 U bolts would hold it fine and if not, it would not cost too much to have the 2 half moon clamps made. The bracket takes boards that have mounts on 10 inch centers. I think that 10 inch centers is what the shovelhead FLH used. The new boards are all on 8 inch centers.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Does the FXR use the male mount style of footpeg? If so, the set from Custom Chrome that ratt mentioned should work, without problems. I had a set of the CC mini univeral floorboards for my Sporty. To be honest with you, I did not like them. Looked like huge-ass-duck-feet sticking out on the Sporty. Might be different on the FXR.

·
Registered
769 Posts
phreak_of_natur said:
Does the FXR use the male mount style of footpeg? If so, the set from Custom Chrome that ratt mentioned should work, without problems. I had a set of the CC mini univeral floorboards for my Sporty. To be honest with you, I did not like them. Looked like huge-ass-duck-feet sticking out on the Sporty. Might be different on the FXR.

when i bought my lowrider used it had the mini floor boards ,,,,,i replaced them with the rubber suspeneded dresser type boards ,,, a world of difference. If you go custom chrome ,, skip the mini boards and get the dresser type.....Floor boards are not about looks they are about cutting down on the vibs to your feet and comfort. The mini board are really no better than a traditional foot peg in my opinion ,,, i had both .....the day i put on the full on boards the ride got alot better .. rat

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the Great reply's.

Ratt you are correct, I've talked with serveral people that used those mini-boards and they didn't like them any more then you. I rode an FXRP Police Special once and loved the Floor Boards it had. The one thing that concerns me with this Kit Harley offers is the reduce ground clearance. But I guess I wouldn't lose that much clearance and it would slow me down in the corner's.

After all I'm not a kid anymore riding my 1986 Yamaha FZ600. Oh how I loved that bike in the Corners and Dragging footpegs.

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Gary Mintz said:
Thanks for all the Great reply's.

Ratt you are correct, I've talked with serveral people that used those mini-boards and they didn't like them any more then you. I rode an FXRP Police Special once and loved the Floor Boards it had. The one thing that concerns me with this Kit Harley offers is the reduce ground clearance. But I guess I wouldn't lose that much clearance and it would slow me down in the corner's.

After all I'm not a kid anymore riding my 1986 Yamaha FZ600. Oh how I loved that bike in the Corners and Dragging footpegs.
I purchased a used set and they didn't fit on my 2001....but you are right...the right? floorboard was pretty much thrashed from dragging the board going around turns....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have floorboards on my FXRS.They are Harley Floorboards and mounts.They mount to the frame on the bottom rails.
I love um. My bike is lowered an inch. You have to be careful in the turns. They are very comfortable.

·
Registered
435 Posts
sjpr13 said:
I purchased a used set and they didn't fit on my 2001....but you are right...the right? floorboard was pretty much thrashed from dragging the board going around turns....
Did you purchase the FXR or FXD set? You should have 50601-01 for a Dyna of your year.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. I have since moved them 1.5 inches closer to the bike and about 2.0 inches back (re-weld from the bottom). I'll try and shoot a new pic next week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The brackets are no longer available fron HD, and no dealer has them sitting on their shelves. There is a complete set of used brackets, boards and the rear brake pedal up on ebay right now. They usually go for $400-$500. The high bidder right now is from Elvis place hdparts, he will pay big money for them now and then sell them higher later.

There is another option if you want to put boards on a FXR. Harley offered a bracket (#50648-84, Floorboard Kit For FXR Touring Models, $247.99 in the 91 Parts and Acc. catalog) that is X shaped and it mounted under the frame with 2 "half moon" clamps and 4 U bolts. The bracket has the other half of the clamps welded to it and they face up. It places the boards a little lower than the other setup does and you can adjust it foreword and back a couple of inches to where it suits you best. A place in Canada must have a ton of them, they have the "X" bracket up quite often on ebay and it usually goes for $80-$100.

I bought one from the place in Canada. It was in the original HD box but did not include the foot boards, the U bolts, the instructions or the 2 "half moon" caps that would mount on top of the lower frame tubes to hold the bracket on. I have not mounted it yet as I have the bike apart for painting. I think that 4 U bolts would hold it fine and if not, it would not cost too much to have the 2 half moon clamps made. The bracket takes boards that have mounts on 10 inch centers. I think that 10 inch centers is what the shovelhead FLH used. The new boards are all on 8 inch centers.
Any way I can get some more info on the #50648-84 ? maybe some pics of the setup? any regrets on the purchase? what additional hardware did you need to complete the install? what was the final cost?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dyna Floorboard Kit mounting instructions

I have attached a copy (in pdf format) of the mounting instructions. I use these floorboard on my 2003 Dyna FXD for two riding seasons now and I don't want to miss them anymore! If you like I can send you some pics of my bike. Kind regards, FXD2003Rider

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have attached a copy (in pdf format) of the mounting instructions. I use these floorboard on my 2003 Dyna FXD for two riding seasons now and I don't want to miss them anymore! If you like I can send you some pics of my bike. Kind regards, FXD2003Rider

I would appreciate it if you could email that pdf to my email account. Also, any pics of your setup that you have laying around would be awesome, bro.

[email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
if anyones interested, i have a complete '94 fxrp footboard/ controls set i no longer need

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2393475776/

fits fxr models with stock mid-controls. only thing you will need is a trans end cover from a softail or fl since the fxr clutch cable routing interferes with this setup.
I'm looking for the set that bolts under the frame, since I have forward controls. Elvis' place has a couple sets but they are 475 bucks. ouch.

Ty

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm looking for the set that bolts under the frame, since I have forward controls. Elvis' place has a couple sets but they are 475 bucks. ouch.

Ty
you can do what i did. at 1 time had forward controls too.
i added universal footboards from kuryakyn or other aftermarket kit, around $200.
i fabbed them in the position i wanted, they hinged easily for cornering. added an FL brakepedal & shortened a stock FXR shifter for best operation.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2877451300101735725aHTglB

1 - 20 of 45 Posts