V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my new v-rod and decided to install most of the add-ons myself, the easy stuff .Only notable problem was with the engine guard where the instruction sheet referred to the Service manual on how to remove the cosmetic radiator front. (don't have the service manual) It actually wasn't that hard and now I am waiting for warm weather., I added luggage rack, passenger pillion sissy bar, foot pegs, windscreen shifter linkage etc. The shop put on the SE pipes and breather. Be interested in how others are doing with their machine. Sounds good with the SE pipes. Be interested if anyone installed the Samson pipes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
lankford

I have done nothing to my Vrod but ride it since in came in last week. I should pass through the 500 mile break in period today.

I did pick up a Service Manual yesterday.

Which windscreen did you install?

I saw the Samson pipes on their web site, but not installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the larger screen made by Harley. I look well over it at 5 ft. 10. I am sure it will keep the wind off the chest, but not sure how it will protect the head.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the reply about the windscreen. I am 6 ft and was wondering about the "reach".

Did you relocate the turn signals?

I did not make it to 500 miles today, got caught in a rain storm with about 40 miles to go.

Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turn signal relocation not needed, the windscreen is rather narrow and clears the turn signals very well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been putting off installing the w/shield and bags, but with Bike Week coming, I guess I'll have to do it soon.
I don't think the Samsons are different enough for my taste. HD sent a letter to the dealers warning them about the Samsons-saying that a too lean condition may exist with them.
1300 mi. and going good.
Hey Lankford, are you gonna dyno your bike? i'm interested how much gain you get with the SE stuff.
Rich

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I bought my v-rod accessories, only 2 windscreens were available, now there is a "touring" wind screen that does require movement of the turn signals, I have not actually seen the relocation kit, but it looks easy to install. Since i do like to ride a lot of miles, I am probably going to swap for the touring screen, I will let you know if I have any trouble with the install, Also would be interested if anyone has any experience with any of the windscreens. Thanx

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of new chrome coming out almost daily. Anyone getting a v-rod now might wait a month or 2 to see what accessories are coming down the pike and what after market accessories are available I wanted to get a Corbin saddle, which according to their website, the rider seat will go with the stock passenger seat, but according to the fellow on the phone at Corbin that is not quite the case. He suggested waiting a few months since they apparently had trouble with their early models. The nice part of this story is the interest in developing accessories for this bike!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Chrome

Absolutely right about new stuff coming out daily. I think I need to check myself into chrome platers anonymous.

wheels
swingarm
pulley/belt guards
fork sliders
switch housings
master cylinders
grips
pegs/shifter/linkage/brake lever
all covers and trim

A very shiny silver scooter!

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've added most every major chrome accessory to the V-Rod and have most of them pictured on my website under the accessory page.

As far as the windshield goes, it's a definate MUST. I have the Super Sport and it keeps the wind off your chest, but places it in your face. This is not a problem if you wear a full-face or glasses that wrap around your eyes.

The one chrome accessory that I am waiting on is a different derby cover. I would like to have just one piece that is 'traditional' Harley such as the eagle surrounded by gold flames. I doubt we'll see that for the V-Rod?

·
Registered
16 Posts
...opps, I forgot to mention the pipes in the previous post...

My dealer said they were told by the Motor Company to stay away from straight pipes, such as the Samsons. They said the computer is having a hard time calibrating for it.

My personal after-market favorites are from Bub. They have a good look and are VERY loud - too loud for me, actually. Here's their web site if you want to take a look:

http://www.bubent.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the slickest-looking chrome accessories that I have added to my V-Rod are the Engine Guard-Mounted Fog Lights (Part No. 68913-98A). These fog lights are quite bright and, when operated in conjunction with the main headlight low beam, are far more conspicuous than the headlight high beam alone. They are great for added daytime conspicuity. If anyone is interested, I have a suggestion for improving the installation job beyond what the instructions provide. And that is, drill holes in the underside of each engine guard bar so as to completely conceal all wiring. They really complement the overall front-on view of the machine and provide added function and safety. It took me a good three hours to get the job done in a jam-up fashion, but the effort was well worth it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Jeff

hey Jeff-------be sure to tell us your thoughts as you go by the 500 mark and finally cuh cuh cuh cuh cuh CUT HER LOOSE-------standbye for a rush

Hutch

I did not make it to 500 miles today, got caught in a rain storm with about 40 miles to go.

Jeff [/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
906 Posts
I saw a demo V-Rod with the Samson pipes...freakin LOUD AS HELL!!
As I posted earlier in this forum, don't even consider the Samsons yet, and besides you would need to buy some baffles and a Power Commander as well, either way you will lose some power. I think I'll wait till something better comes along., those straight pipes look like ass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Headmaster,
Your engine guard and fog light arrangement sounds great. Any chance you could post a picture of your bike? I'd like to see how it turned out.
Thanks......Curtjn

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
I have the Sampson on"very loud"!Also had Dyno jet custom tune and K&N Filter installed when I got my ROD!Dyno it and swiched out power commander to a Special Black box and custom tune picked up about 3rwhp on top, but abot 10.5RWHP in the middle were you can really feel it!It made 104.3RWHP with the Sampsons.I have heard of stock one making more so I'm wondering what some of your real world RWHP #'s are?
Kaz........................:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts