V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add some air to the rear air shocks on my 02 king. Dealer says to get the HD pump (I think its about 30-40 bucks) because a bicycle hand pump puts out too much air and I could blow out the resovoir. I could see this as an issue using an air hose, but is the resovoir so small that a manual bicycle pump is risky? I mean, I would treat it it like I would want my SO to treat my ,,,,. well you know.

greg

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
You need a Progressive (Low presure pump) hand pump with air gauge not over 30lbs.
You will damage the shocks if you over pump them, My HD dealer sells the Progressive (Brand Name) pump.

Read your owner manual it will fill in the blanks

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I've used a bicycle hand pump for years on my old 88' FLHTC. Never had any problems. Bought the pump at an auto parts house...maybe Western Auto, and it had a gauge built into the base of the pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get the HD pump. I tried the bicycle pump and could not get any air into the shock system. I guess the bicycle pump puts out way too much air volume/pressure. I am very lucky I didn't mess something up. The little HD hand pumps are very easy to use and have a built in gauge for adjusting the pressure. I keep mine on the bike for on the road adjustments when needed.
I guess I will use the new bicycle pump to air up the lawn mower tires. :)

Tommie

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The secret of the Progressive pump is in the no loss disconnect fitting.

Try to put a tire gauge to the shock valve, in particular a digital one. The volume of air in the shocks is so small that every time you check the pressure with a gauge you lose a couple of pounds.
Spend the 30 bucks, or run them without air.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Got to agree with The Hippo on this. What the hell are we talking about, the price of a HD T-Shirt?

There is no way you can acurately measure the pressure with a bycycle pump. They are also bulky compared to the small tube of a pump that we are discussing. The lines in the system are threads.

If you look at the dynamics of a Turbine engine, you will understand the concept of compression. A lot of air being forced into a a smaller area creating propulsion. ( In other words force. )

That is fine when you are dealing with an area that is built to take the stress. The air system on your shocks is not designed to take a rude input of air.

Next time ya get an itch for a Harley Shirt with some stupid logo which effectively makes you pay The MOCO for the priveledge of being their Billboard, control the urge and buy something useful like the proper hand pump to take care of your baby.

You can call me a prick on this, but ya can't call me wrong. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use my portable air tank that I have a quality gauge on. I bleed it down to whatever psi I want in the shocks and hit the shcrader fitting. Viola, I have the correct pressure in my shocks. There is no way to overfill and do damage, because the pressure is not there. It works for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hippo is right on. I tried a bike pump, too, but you really need the no-loss valve of the special hand pump because you're dealing with such low pressures. And it's small enuf, you can pack it on a long tour to fine tune your ride if need be.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really appreciate all the replies, got the factory pump today. Wasn't so much the $40 but the thought they might be charging me $40 for a $5 bicycle pump (Have no idea why I would even imagine the MoCo might do something like that). Actually even went to a high end bicycle shop (my son told me the new zillion speed titanium &^%$^ bikes have air shocks). Their prices were quite a bit higher for the same type pump, with fancier stainless finish. go figure.

greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts