V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to add a tack to my 06 Deluxe FLSTNI. My diagram says one wire conects to Tachometer power/ingition positive lock. I have no clue what this is and hoping someone here can guide me.
Font Number

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,456 Posts
Does the tach have 5 wires?

long red
long black
short green
short yellow/black
short black

If so, it sounds like the short black wire goes to the ignition switch so when you turn the ignition on it will complete the circuit and power the backlight in the tach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the tach have 5 wires?

long red
long black
short gree
n
short black

If so, it sounds like the short black wire goes to the ignition switch so when you turn the ignition on it will complete the circuit and power the backlight in the tach.

Yes... long red and black is power for light on tack
Green is ground
yellow/black signal wire
Short black is the one in connection question

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
238 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess. I think they mean the short black should connect to a positive switched connection that is only hot when the ignition switch is in the on position. Same thing "G Man" said in his post #2 above. Long red is feed to battery that is hot always. Sounds like typical instructions written by someone who has limited knowledge of the english language.

Basically, the tach backlight and actual RPM does not do anything until the short black wire gets 12v from the ignition switch being turned on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts