V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a slightly used 2000 model last week with less than 15k miles. I have always liked the 1200 "S" model and stumbled across a really clean bike for a great price. Only mods done were a Mikuni carb and Thunderheader. This bike is very quick and really fun to ride.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carrie said:
That is sweet! Planning any other mods? I'd like to have a Nightster myself :).
First mod is going to be replacing those GIANT turn signals and relocating front turns to forks. Got plenty of other stuff in mind - should keep me busy over winter months.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
geoffreyt said:
Those rear shocks are Da Bomb! I put some on my XL along with heavier straight rate springs and it turned it into a real Sportster.
I agree on the shocks - could be the best shocks Harley ever made. The shocks combined with the dual plug heads and hot cam made the "S" model one sweet bike. Can't understand why they quit making them.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I love Sportsters, and that one is sweet. My front turn signals are mounted on the forks, too, which I like better than hanging from the handlebar. And, though I may be in the minority, I have always loved the aggressive look of the peanut tank. I don't care for the more bulbous 4.5-gallon tank that now adorns almost all Sportsters (by my count only two of the 883 models and the 1200 Nightster still wear the peanut tank). For me, the fat tank just wrecks the look of the bike. Yeah, I've got to stop and fill up every 120-130 miles, but that's okay by me.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
MadCity said:
I love Sportsters, and that one is sweet. My front turn signals are mounted on the forks, too, which I like better than hanging from the handlebar. And, though I may be in the minority, I have always loved the aggressive look of the peanut tank. I don't care for the more bulbous 4.5-gallon tank that now adorns almost all Sportsters (by my count only two of the 883 models and the 1200 Nightster still wear the peanut tank). For me, the fat tank just wrecks the look of the bike. Yeah, I've got to stop and fill up every 120-130 miles, but that's okay by me.
Peanut Tanks ROCK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats a very clean S, wanna trade shocks?j/k Thats pretty cool it came with a mik and thunderheader cause there a nice power building pipe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
miles to go said:
Picked up a slightly used 2000 model last week with less than 15k miles. I have always liked the 1200 "S" model and stumbled across a really clean bike for a great price. Only mods done were a Mikuni carb and Thunderheader. This bike is very quick and really fun to ride.

Sweet :thumbsup: I prefert this version than Custom - Sport is really make to ride not for show.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
miles to go said:

Very nice! :wootdnc:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats a great looking bike. It looks familiar.

·
Registered
168 Posts
C:\Documents and Settings\ebrown\Desktop\yard sedalia boyd 009.jpg

the Sport was a special bike. wish I had one. the suspension is great. the 1200R is the closest to it now....really the same concept without the expensive suspension....why don't they go all the way and put the gas shocks on it? I added a 1200R to my Heritage and both are great bikes.....

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
loboheritage said:
obviously, my pic didn't load. here are my two......
Great combo - i've got a Heritage as well. I actually thought about buying a new 1200R because i was having a hard time finding a good price on an Sport model. The "S" models are getting harder and harder to find. I guess people like em so much they are not selling. And, the ones you do find for sale are usually over-priced.

·
Registered
168 Posts
well, Miles....we certainly think alike. I have
been test riding R1200RTs and am thinking hard
about it. only hold up is my short legs and the
seat height on the RT, even with the low seat......

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
loboheritage said:
well, Miles....we certainly think alike. I have
been test riding R1200RTs and am thinking hard
about it. only hold up is my short legs and the
seat height on the RT, even with the low seat......
Talk about seat height, you should sit on a GS. I am nearly 6 ft. and i can't flat foot my GSA. The RT is a sweet bike but not made for off-road, which is the reason i went with the GS. I think my GS will still keep up with the RT in the twisties though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
the GS is off the page...I can't even sit
on it on the showroom floor....something
like 35-36" seat height.....the RT is about
31 with the low seat and I am ok unless there
is a camber to the road when I stop....even a
little camber makes the road a long way down
there.......

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
The 1200S is probably the best Sporty made; learn to set up the front forks, too. There's a bunch of adjustments available; I sure like it on the front of my FXDXT...how about 100hp or so for that 1200?

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sharkey said:
The 1200S is probably the best Sporty made; learn to set up the front forks, too. There's a bunch of adjustments available; I sure like it on the front of my FXDXT...how about 100hp or so for that 1200?
A Sporty with 100hp would be a fun ride. Maybe next year i'll drop the coin and do just that. It's pretty quick like it is, so i'm just going to enjoy it for now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts