V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was cruising down the "belt line" here in Madison. This is a 6 lane divided highway that skirts the south and west side of town. The speed limit is 55 but the average speed is about 70 and it has a lot of on and off ramps and at times a LOT of traffic.

Anyway, I was in the center lane and was passing a long on ramp where several cars were merging onto the HWY. A guy in the right lane that had just merged on and was a little(not even a car length) ahead of me but was going slower than me decided that he wanted the center, even though there was no one ahead of him.

He cut over(I consider myself a good reader of people's stupid actions on the road. I've predicted about 99% of the close calls before they happen, in other words I was already prepared for this stunt) and I hit the horn and swerved into the left lane. As I was going faster than him I was coming up along side when I saw his window go down. When I got next to it he looks at me, smiled, waved and shouted "SORRY". I was blown away! Not only did he admit that he did something stupid but he appologized! He didn't yell profanities and give me the bird like most people do. I was about to throw a fist through his window into his nose(not really) when he threw this curve ball at me. All I could do was wave back( with a scowl on my face) and keep going.

Not really an interesting story but it reaffirmed my faith that not everyone is a whiney baby that blames everyone else for their own actions.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I keep thinking..

What if had been my brother that cut me off. I know that he is a terrible driver. He really is. And this is the stupid shtuff that he does. I think that if anyone had retaliated against him, I would have to go after them. No excuses. Even though he f-up some times, no one is allowed to go after him but me. He is very passive and I am the hothead. Now if someone was to cut me off, as this punk in an Escalade on the 495 did. I wished that I had artillary mounted somewhere,. It was in the rain, and GDit, I swore that he just didnt give a fuch. I came right up to him erraticaly and gave him the attitude. His response..Fyou. How did I expect him to act...about the same.
We all blow our tops. Truth is though, some people dont give a sheit about you, are jealous, hate bikes, or just think that since they drive an expensive truck and are bigger than you, have the right away. You cant argue if you are run over or dead. Better let the ahole go. Finish it when you see him off the street.
Ed Gray

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ed gray said:
Truth is though, some people dont give a sheit about you, are jealous, hate bikes, or just think that since they drive an expensive truck and are bigger than you, have the right away. You cant argue if you are run over or dead. Better let the ahole go. Ed Gray
Exactly. It seems that the general consensis is that each person is really the only one that matters... to them. That's why I was so blown away at my incedent today. Even though it could have been a very bad scene he just "fessed up" to his fukup. I respect that.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by hdmarsh77
So today I was cruising down the "belt line" here in Madison. This is a 6 lane divided highway that skirts the south and west side of town. The speed limit is 55 but the average speed is about 70 and it has a lot of on and off ramps and at times a LOT of traffic.
Dude, I ride the Beltline to work all summer long (as well as on my regular jaunts out to Capital City H-D), and it does get crazy. Glad you didn't get smooshed and that the guy at least admitted his mistake. That would make a difference in my book too, providing I was still around to give it a second thought. So frequently the drivers who make the worst bonehead mistakes act as if it was the other guy's fault.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:

Anyway, I was in the center lane and was passing a long on ramp where several cars were merging onto the HWY. A guy in the right lane that had just merged on and was a little(not even a car length) ahead of me but was going slower than me decided that he wanted the center, even though there was no one ahead of him.

He cut over(I consider myself a good reader of people's stupid actions on the road. I've predicted about 99% of the close calls before they happen, in other words I was already prepared for this stunt) and I hit the horn and swerved into the left lane. As I was going faster than him I was coming up along side when I saw his window go down. When I got next to it he looks at me, smiled, waved and shouted "SORRY". I was blown away! Not only did he admit that he did something stupid but he appologized! He didn't yell profanities and give me the bird like most people do. I was about to throw a fist through his window into his nose(not really) when he threw this curve ball at me. All I could do was wave back( with a scowl on my face) and keep going.

Not really an interesting story but it reaffirmed my faith that not everyone is a whiney baby that blames everyone else for their own actions.:thumbsup:
This sounds like one of those times that you got in the "grey" area where he
couldn't see you in his mirror. Not your fault as he is the one that merged.
I'm not suggesting you made a mistake, just want to take the opportunity
to make a point.
Too often I see riders putting themselves in a position slightly behind and
to the left or right of a car. They can't see you in their mirrors.
We need to stay far enough back, forward or next to them.
Again, not trying to be an instructor, maybe the guy just plain f***d up.
Glad everything turned out ok.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Great post. One of those magic motorcycle moments. A cager blows your mind by performing the unexpected.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nvsteve said:
This sounds like one of those times that you got in the "grey" area where he
couldn't see you in his mirror. Not your fault as he is the one that merged.
I'm not suggesting you made a mistake, just want to take the opportunity
to make a point.
Too often I see riders putting themselves in a position slightly behind and
to the left or right of a car. They can't see you in their mirrors.
We need to stay far enough back, forward or next to them.
Again, not trying to be an instructor, maybe the guy just plain f***d up.
Glad everything turned out ok.

You're definatly right that I was in his blind spot. However, he had just entered the HWY and I was going faster than he so in a matter of moments I would have been past him. He just simply didn't look. I make it a point every time I ride to not be in the blind spot. You make an excellent point about people putting themselves in danger(in a car or on a bike) when sitting in the blind spot.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
You're definatly right that I was in his blind spot. However, he had just entered the HWY and I was going faster than he so in a matter of moments I would have been past him. He just simply didn't look. I make it a point every time I ride to not be in the blind spot. You make an excellent point about people putting themselves in danger(in a car or on a bike) when sitting in the blind spot.:cheers:
Thanks for taking my post in the way it was intended.
You obviously realize that we as riders have responsibilities.:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think being in the blind spot has happened to all of us. When I'm riding on highways (especially near merges) I try to look for the cager's face in his side mirror ~ I am always amazed at how many of them are set to see 747's overhead. If I cannot see his eyes, I either move out of his way or Play a little pipe music as a reminder that I am there. In that respect, loud pipes do save lives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anticipation of people's moves is key - not only on a bike but in a car. I love watching someone entering the hiway - their lane clearly ending in another 100 feet and the car next to them in the right lane totally oblivious to the fact that they are prolly going to be merging left. You just want to ask, "WTF did you think that car was gonna do? Take off like an airplane? Go up on two wheels to accomodate the skinny lane?" Oh it frustrates the hell out of me.

At least that dude acknowledged, and probably thought to himself, "oh ****, I almost killed a biker" and the incedent may make him a more cycle friendly driver. Wait til the same thing happens and you pull up beside someone yukkin it up on the cellphone who has no idea what you are even upset about!

I had to go to the DMV yesterday to get my cycle license renewed and watched them issue licenses to 1. A guy who could not pass the eye exam with his right eye and could barely speak the language and 2. an old lady who had to have her daughter repeat everything the DMV guy said loudly in her ear. Makes you realize just how damn terrible some of the drivers out there really are!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I believe this is known as the 'My bad' defense.

hdmarsh77 said:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
ed gray said:
What if had been my brother that cut me off. I know that he is a terrible driver. He really is. And this is the stupid shtuff that he does. I think that if anyone had retaliated against him, I would have to go after them. No excuses. Even though he f-up some times, no one is allowed to go after him but me. He is very passive and I am the hothead. Now if someone was to cut me off, as this punk in an Escalade on the 495 did. I wished that I had artillary mounted somewhere,. It was in the rain, and GDit, I swore that he just didnt give a fuch. I came right up to him erraticaly and gave him the attitude. His response..Fyou. How did I expect him to act...about the same.
We all blow our tops. Truth is though, some people dont give a sheit about you, are jealous, hate bikes, or just think that since they drive an expensive truck and are bigger than you, have the right away. You cant argue if you are run over or dead. Better let the ahole go. Finish it when you see him off the street.
Ed Gray
A lot of what you say may be true but I think more often than not they just made a mistake. I doubt there is anyone here who has not at some time or another cut someone off or or some other stunt where we would just like to crawl under a rock. The highway (or any road for that matter) is a dangerous place and mistakes people including ourselves make can have deadly results. Fortunatly more often than not we just pi$$ someone off or we get pi$$ed off. I am as guilty as anyone about becoming irate when someone pulls out in front of me but I avoid flipping them off or cussing them as I realize that I have probably done the same or worse at some time myself. Also like you mentioned I too have friends and relatives who do the more than their share of stupid things on the road. If a driver or rider ( yes fellow bikers have cut me off before too ) acknowledge their mistake like the driver in the initial post then I just nod and wave as I go by. If they seem oblivious then I just shake my head as I go by. As I see it there is no point in doing anything else as if the person in the car turns out to be a nut case, and there are lot's out there, and he/she tries to take me out guess what? I loose.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
... just goes to show that you always have to be watching. A trick picked up is that if there are kids in a car and they're watching you -- wave to them. If the kids know you're there, chances are the driver will too.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
toilet paper

I think you'll appreciate this. Back in june '76 me and my buddy were riding our brandy new honda 550's back from Long Island. We were both 20 and these were our fist new bikes. It was about 11am,we were e/b on the belt pkwy near the flatbush ave.exit/entrance.This a**hole enters the hiway in a '69 convertible Cadi at an extremely high speed(we were doing 70 inthe left lane)and goes ino the middle lane. There are no cars to be seen this time of day,in either direction.About 20 seconds later he cuts in front of us,hits his brake,then cuts back to the center laneand flips us the bird. We pull up next to him and he starts to laugh and flip us off. Before i could blink my buddy pulls a ww2 replica(inert)hand grenade out of his pocket. The guy in the caddy is looking at my friend as he pulls the pin(with his teeth) and tosses it in his backseat! we slow down,the guy takes a hard right onto the shoulder.He probably threw the car in park because the rear brakes were locked and throwing up dirt as he bailed out of the still moving car! We rode off(very fast) laughing so hard that the wind was blowing our tears back into our eyes tht we could hardly see!:2flips:

·
This space for rent
221 Posts
ed gray said:
Truth is though, some people dont give a sheit about you, are jealous, hate bikes, or just think that since they drive an expensive truck and are bigger than you, have the right away. You cant argue if you are run over or dead. Better let the ahole go. Finish it when you see him off the street.
This reminds me of the unofficial "Rule of the Road", which is... the larger vehicle rules the road! Motorcycle vs SUV, we all know the outcome of that. The same applies to them, tho...SUV vs tractor-trailer =devil=

·
Registered
509 Posts
it's nice to see someone admit to their mistake. You're probably right he will be a much more concientious driver (for a little while anyway) My wife and I were talking about this tonight, we were in her RAV4 and some girl starts to pull out (left turn into our lane) I honk the horn and she starts looking asround (like, wth was that?) she still keeps coming out and damn near tbones us by ths time I am swerving ands braking and laying on the horn. That stupid girl didn't even realize what she had done. It isn't that these people are trying to kill bikers, they are just not paying attention to their surroundings. But, I admit I have also done (many) bone-headed things while driving so I try to maintain some semblance of courtesy to my fellow drivers. Be safe out there Yall.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Hey, HDmarsh77,

Either that was an Amish tourist or you're suffering from tequila withdrawal.

Are you sure it was the same Beltline I drive on? You know, crappy, bumpy cement over a swamp full of liberal a-holes and antique buyers from Waunakee?

He didn't say "I'm sorry." You caught the end of a cell phone conversation.

"Yeah, Harvey, I just pulled onto the Beltline. Say what? You ran down a pregnant nun in a school crosswalk. Wow, that's 75 points. To beat that I'd have to side-swipe a sleeping biker switching lanes. Hey, here's one now...

...I'm scoring...!"

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Tourist said:
...I'm scoring...!"

You know, now that I think about it...

If I can only remember his plate number I could get even. How many points for four slashed tires on an SUV?

:roflback:

Good one Chico!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts