V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 RC with 3500 miles. Two questions: 1) it seems to have used between a half and 2/3 quart of oil in about 2,000 miles. Dealer says 1 quart/1,ooo miles is "normal". Any thoughts or experiences?

2) I added a full quart so am 1/3 to 1/2 overfull. Is this a big problem or??

thx, greg

·
Registered
135 Posts
On my '98 Hert. I was getting 780 miles to a qt. I called the manu. and before I said anything about miles he said "750 miles to a qt. is accebtable, anything less than that take it to the nearest dealer." So I asked him "does that mean I never have to change my oil again because in 3000 miles I will go thru 4 qt. of oil"
He hung up the phone.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You don't want to run overfilled at all. It can cause problems and at minimum will make the consumption figures invalid. it's best to run them just a tiny bit underfilled.

In my experience, in particular in summer, if the bike is ridden at speed like on highway trips, they may use as much as 1 qt in 1000 miles. This goes away when using a good synthetic oil. If they use oil after the change, other then possibly a minimal amount, you have a problem.

Make sure it is not coming thru the breathers, and the best way to get an idea of engine condition is to do a leakdown test.
I usually look for 1 or 2% at most, but I guess on a low mileage production engine anything below 5% would be good.

It's not uncommon to find engines with the second ring installed upside down, and they will use oil big time, but it's most common when owners have done their own big bore.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just FYI, I went through about .5 quarts in 1000 miles with a mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic (I did cut though) and 85 MPH cruises in 100+ heat (with the couple of bounces to 110+ following a *** bike:D ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts