V-Twin Forum banner

ACC Helmets?

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  gilbos440rt 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the ACC polo style dot helmet? If so did you get the d rings or quick release? What do you think of the helmet? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Bros

#3 ·
I've got the regular style, and I have the ear-flaps and the chin strap cushion thing. I have the quick release but the strap seems to slip through the buckle just enough to make it flop around, so I am constantly re-tightening the strap. The ear flaps don't really stop the wind noise and the chin pad makes my neck itch sometimes, so I doubt I would order those again. Also I can say the black paint is extremely durable. I've knocked it around a little, dropped it on the workbench and had it slip off the seat and hit the pavement and none of this has even scratched or chipped the paint.

I found this helmet at a local indy, some guy ordered it and took it home and the boss made him bring it right back. The indy couldn't return it, so they put it on consignment for the poor guy for $50 bux off retail plus no tax!!

#4 ·
I have one and personally don't care for it too much. I purchased it with the quick release but couldn't stand it.Like one poster said, it seemed to constantly loosen up and flop around.I sent it back, and they installed the rings.It only seemed to help marginally.
To make the helmet sit low on your head thus avoiding the "bubble" look, it has removable padding.Its rather cheap and just velcroes in.You are not going to get a great custom fit with this setup.
The pros are the paint is good and customer service is excellent.Someone always answered the phone and turnaround was quick.

#5 ·
I'm hard to fit and ACC helmets shaped the lid for my oval head...they have incredible customer service! I've never worn a lighter helmet and the wind doesn't lift this lid...

#8 ·
kayak99 said:
I have the non dot ACC helmet and love it so I bought the polo one. One day of having the wind lift the thing, I stopped wearing it.
I have the regular model without visor and it works/fits great. Any visor or polo style will tend to lift in the wind if you don't run a windshield. What i really like about it is the lightweight. I forget it's on my head sometimes.

Mine has the quick disconnect as well, which does tend to losen up. Think i'd rather have the D rings.

#9 ·
miles to go said:
I have the regular model without visor and it works/fits great. Any visor or polo style will tend to lift in the wind if you don't run a windshield. What i really like about it is the lightweight. I forget it's on my head sometimes.

Mine has the quick disconnect as well, which does tend to losen up. Think i'd rather have the D rings.
I do like the lightweight of these helmets so I may send the polo one back and see if they will trade me a regular DOT model in case I need it.

I have quick disconnects on my regular helmet and never had a problem with it loosening. I'll have to watch for that. Thanks.

#10 ·
I have the half shell (nude carbon, no visor or earflaps) DOT with the quick release. I too originally had a problem with the thing trying to 'sail' up on me. But after some time it has seemed to mold to by big ole mellon. Fits nice and low and alot of people think I'm wearing a non DOT. The quick release at first is a pain......but like most things you get used to it. I'm at the point now that I'm not sure I'd be able to figure out a D-ring.......All and all...I'm extremely happy with the helmet. It was exactly what I wanted. A DOT helmet that didn't give me the 'mushroom' look...... It's kinda sparce on the inside....(like an above poster said....Bare shell with velcro pads....) but hey.....It's comfortable to me and who looks at the inside anyway?

#11 ·
Hi!

I had one non-DOT Polo that I went down with and that protected my head well enough to warrant buying a new one. When they came out with the DOT Polo I got that one in the woven chrome finish. It´s the first DOT helmet that doesn´t make me look like a mushroom and I get compliments and questions about it all the time.

Also, the folks at ACC were always great to deal with. When I needed some extra padding they sent it to me within days at no extra cost to me for example.
Yes, their DOT helmets are expensive, but they are so far the best looking DOT approved helmets you can get.

Sponk

#12 ·
Got the carbon fiber polo all I can say is sweet, so light I forget it's on like the other post said :laugh: I've had no problems with my strap loosening up on mine it also has the ear flaps sorta like them to:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.