V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 1400 miles on it now after what is basically 3 weekends of riding and got to say I love this bike. It is all that I liked about my prior '02 RG but with nice improvements. The new stereo is awsome. If you have not heard one or used one try it before you bash it. MX is really nice. The new clutch is smooth.

I put the '06 crate 103" motor on this bike and I really like that motor way more than the 95" motor I had on the '02. I kept the 103" motor completely stock internally. Only changes are the Stage 1, race tuner and the freer flowing mufflers with the 2" baffles from www.fullsac.com. This is the motor that they should be putting in these baggers to begin with. Has gobs of torque and power and when cruising at 3000rpm at about 72mph it is right in the sweet spot where a twist of the wrist will pass any 18 wheeler or string of cars at will.

I ultra'ized this bike by adding the ultra tourpac, rear speakers, cb and intercom. I am finding the exta storage very handy and even though I had them put the quick disconect hardware on the tourpac I may just leave it on. I hardly notice is back there when riding solo. Almost done with the bike, still have not put on my lights from motolightes.com and the screamin' eagle breather cover is not yet in. I know they are never "done" but for now not planning anything else.

So anyone sitting on the fence and thinking about looking at the '06 touring bikes I would say go for it. I am very pleased with mine.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,612 Posts
Quit yer damn bragging, you're pissing me off. No, seriously, I'm happy for you, but (maybe) a little envious.
I don't see how any motorcycle could be any more comfortable than my FXRT, but I'm still hot for a RG. Maybe in a couple of years, when the house is paid for.
Enjoy, brother-man.

Joe

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Road Glider said:
I put the '06 crate 103" motor on this bike and I really like that motor way more than the 95" motor I had on the '02. I kept the 103" motor completely stock internally.
My RG is still 88ci (supertrapp pipes, hi-flow air cleaner and race tuner). I was thinking about having an indie bump it up to 95" over the winter. Is the 103" that much different? How about gas mileage, does it suffer from the higher displacement?

Road Glider said:
I ultra'ized this bike by adding the ultra tourpac, rear speakers, cb and intercom. ... still have not put on my lights from motolightes.com and the screamin' eagle breather cover is not yet in. I know they are never "done" but for now not planning anything else.
My RG is semi-ultra-ized. Quick disconnect tour pack which is NEVER removed (except when I wash the beast), w/ LED brake lights on the tour pack. No intercomm or CB.

Regarding motolights, I've been wanting them. Planning on getting the ones that mount to the brake calipers. Where will you install the motolights? Also, what helped you to decide?

I've never been happier w/ the comfort and handling of a ride as I am w/ my RG.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, I am getting around 40 mpg with this motor. I am sure you can get a 95" motor built to suit you and I was happy and had fun with the one that was on my '02 RG. Reason I went with the 103" this time is it allowed me to have a factory built motor and it was something different than what I had done already. Plus my dealer did a swap out with me and took the 88" motor in trade so when I did the math I was not too far from where I was when I did a build up on my prior motor in terms of cost.

The motolights are the brake caliper mount ones. I had them on my '02 and removed them prior to sale and just have not had them put on this bike yet. There are photos of them on the bike in my photo gallery just navigate to the pics of the black '02 RG.

I agree with you the RG is one comfortable ride. Cost wise I could have purchased a Screamin Eagle Ultra for what I spent but I got what I wanted and am glad I did.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the brake caliper lights over the winter. And maybe a 95" w/ mild cams.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
RG, don't go to the trouble of mounting those moto-lights, just send them to me! I will take care of them for you! :roflback:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts