V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Street Glide with ABS. I switched to the HD chrome front master cylinder, steel braided lines and chrome front calipers. I changed these parts myself, then towed the bike to my local HD dealer to have brake fluid put in and bleed it. When I got it back, the front brake lever goes all the way the the grip on the first pull, but if you pump it, you will get more pressure and on the second or third pull, it will only go halfway to the grip. Sounds like there is air in the the lines right? Well, they have changed the master cylinder, tried the stock calipers, tried the HD chrome calipers, flushed the system and done the computer bleed on the ABS and master cylinder no less than 8 times. I even had a bleed/flush done by a different dealer. There is no leakage from anywhere. The current brake system will stop the bike, but I know that having to pump the brake lever is not right. Also, the computer is not giving any fault codes on the ABS system. Help.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have had this problem on several bikes. Sometimes the o rings in the calipers are so tight that the piston does not slide in them freely. I remove the caliper and pump the pistons out quite a bit then clean good with brake cleaner and apply a couple drops of marvel oil around the base of the pistons then push them back in , repeat the process a couple times. It helps a lot with little lever movement required for strong braking. I have had to do this to the rear also on several new bikes. Clean the entire caliper with brake cleaner after installing to remove any oil from the brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found problem

The brake rotors were warped which pushes the pads back in to the caliper, thus causing the light first pull.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts