V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first bike in July off my father. He is the original owner of my 2001 Heritage Softail Classic. The bike is stock other than the Thunderheader he put on it. It is fuel injected and he didn't do any download or stage 1 and the bike has approx. 36,000 miles that way. My question is am I damaging the motor this way? The bike runs good, but it does backfire and pop.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Tyhe bike is slightly more lean than stock, which is already lean. I would try the Stage 1 flash, If that doesn't help add a Stage 1 A/C

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would add the air cleaner and the Stage 1 flash at the same time. The "Flash" is a download that the dealer sends to the computer in your bike to tell it (in theory) how to maximize the fuel injection to work with the mods made to the bike. If the stage 1 doesn't solve the backfiring and popping, do a search on a PCIII (power commander) or DFO (digital fuel optimizer) or SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner). These are aftermarket parts, you will only need one device, and there are many opinons on which one is best. The additon of a PCIII, DFO, or SERT, will allow you or your mechanic to make additional adjustments to the computer on your bike to better tune it in. If you buy one of these items, I would find a mechanic that is well versed in the device you choose, and pay for him to dyno tune your bike so that it can run at its' absolute best.

I am by no means a guru with this stuff, just passing along what I have read on the subject. Hopefully the A/C and Stage 1 flash will solve your issues. If not, look into one of the three performance products mentioned above. Some guys that are better versed with this issue may advise you to skip the stage one flash and go right to a PCIII or the likes.

Any other opinions out there to help this guy out??

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
It is a software download to your bikes ECM. The dealer connects to your bike and downloads the Stage 1 file. A Stage 1 flash is for free flowing A/C and pipes it will add fuel, adjust your ignition and raise your rev limit 400 rpm. It is also a little lean to keep it within EPA and CARB guidlines (you are after all in the land of the Air Police)

·
Registered
5 Posts
be sure to tell the service dept. that you want the 1550 stage 1 download.
the 1450 stage 1 may not take care of most of your popping and backfiring.
the 1550 will cut down your fuel milage but it will also cut out most of your popping and backfiring.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Some people will say changing pipes doesn't matter if you don't change the A/C. If the bike is, as you say, popping and backfiring, it is trying to tell you that it is running too lean. Get the flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts