V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing help or even iformation on the clutch. I just bought the bike and the lever is very hard. Can you adjust this? I was told to buy a clutch kit but cant seem to find one for the year of my bike. Its a 2004 sportster 1200 thanks for your help!

·
Registered
387 Posts
First thing I would check is the cable between your hand and the clutch.

If it is frayed or dry it can be very hard to engage.

You can disconnect it from the clutch arm and test it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Go to the bike store and buy a can of Cable Lube. You can ask which is the best one. It comes with 'straws' that direct the spray where you want it. Weasel the straw into the space between the steel clutch cable and the outer casing. Hold a rag there in case it oversprays. Give it a shot and check if the stiffness is getting better.
Don't use too much, it comes out the other end and makes a mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your help... will give it a try.. sorry for posting in the wrong place new to this...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Go to the bike store and buy a can of Cable Lube. You can ask which is the best one. It comes with 'straws' that direct the spray where you want it. Weasel the straw into the space between the steel clutch cable and the outer casing. Hold a rag there in case it oversprays. Give it a shot and check if the stiffness is getting better.
Don't use too much, it comes out the other end and makes a mess.
What NJ said - only I disagree with the last part. If it's that dry it's REAL dry. Spray until it's overflowing, give it time to run down the inside of the cable - then hit it again. Repeat a few times. Put a rag wherever it's flowing out. You won't hurt anything and you'll be amazed at how much some good cable lube affects the pull. JMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I had a teflon coated cable once...damn easy and smooth and does not require oil

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I had a teflon coated cable once...damn easy and smooth and does not require oil
:hystria: I still got mine :redrolf: Take it with me everywhere I go
:hystria:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts