V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you have been working hard on trying to solve the Grand Unified Theory. ;)

It appears, that someone may have beat us to it. For those of us who strongly rejected the sting theory, it's good news: :thumbsup:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311952,00.html

Even more remarkable is that Lisi, who has a Ph.D. but no permanent university affiliation, solves the problem without resorting to exotic dimensions, string theory or exceptionally complex mathematics.

Just as the General Theory of Realtivity prooved to be a simple equation (ok with a big ass number at the end Lisi http://sifter.org/~aglisi/Surfing/surfing.html claims to have solved the problem with another simple equation (ok a 248-dimensioned one).

I don't know if he's right, but I always believed that the most complicated equations can always be reduced if you can just find the common denominator.

A successful Grand Unified Theory would use a series of equations to show how the four fundamental forces of nature — gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces — relate to each other.

Electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactivity, were linked more than 30 years ago, and some progress has been made with linking them to the strong nuclear force, which binds protons together in the atomic nucleus.

But gravity has always been an outlier. Not only have all attempts to link gravity to the other three forces failed, but physicists still can't agree on what gravity actually is or how it works.

Lisi solves this by using the E8 lattice, an eight-dimensional structure visualized earlier this year in a widely circulated paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/js/photoPop.html?0

His solution:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.0770

1. Introduction
We exist in a universe described by mathematics. But which math? Although it is interesting
to consider that the universe may be the physical instantiation of all mathematics,[1]
there is a classic principle for restricting the possibilities: The mathematics of the universe
should be beautiful. A successful description of nature should be a concise, elegant, unifed
mathematical structure consistent with experience.

An elegant way of repeating Einstein's premise that "God doesn't play dice with the Universe"...something argued against by the quantum theorists...

Abstract: All fields of the standard model and gravity are unifed as an E8 principal bundle
connection. A non-compact real form of the E8 Lie algebra has G2 and F4 subalgebras which
break down to strong su(3), electroweak su(2) x u(1), gravitational so(3,1), the frame-Higgs,
and three generations of fermions related by triality. The interactions and dynamics of these
1-form and Grassmann valued parts of an E8 superconnection are described by the curvature
and action over a four dimensional base manifold.

I know by the time I get done reading it, I'll sleep better tonight.:corn:

PS. Fred, I think you'll find some interesting shapes when you read the paper. :)

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
DJW said:
Even more remarkable is that Lisi, who has a Ph.D. but no permanent university affiliation, solves the problem without resorting to exotic dimensions, string theory or exceptionally complex mathematics.
Hardly remarkable, just like his thoughts on his Relativity papers - Einstein was completely irreverent, had no university affiliation, and used thought experiments rather than complex mathematics to visualize phenomena when he wrote his four 1905 papers; he had no doctorate at the time. There's no question in my mind that the circumstances leading up to that time in his life developed in Einstein the tools necessary to put his thoughts into words.

I've always felt that the next 'quantum' leaps would be by someone visualizing, rather than first mathematically explaining, that which we can not see or measure directly. Structured science and institutions provide exactly the least conducive environment for that.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I once performed CPR without and previous training on a dead opossum and brought it back to life. :beer4u:

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smokey said:
I once performed CPR without and previous training on a dead opossum and brought it back to life. :beer4u:
That was a buzzard, it was just "playing possum".

Pucker up Smoke.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did finish reading the paper. First of all, it is very well written. I can't speak for the math (not even close) but in terms of making his case, and putting everything within a context that allows for easy peer review, I think he does a great job.

Some interesting comments from the paper:

page 13:
...Although we are labeling triality partners as fermions of di erent generations, the exact relationship between triality and generations is more complicated and not yet clear to the author. One clue is that the triality partners of F4 (connected in the gure by pale blue and thin gray lines) may be collapsed to their midpoints to get a g2 subalgebra..

page 21: (note: scientific characters don't always represent well on web pages)

After all algebraic elements of the standard model have been fit to the E8 Lie algebra there are a few e8 elements remaining, representing new, non-standard particles. There are two new quantum numbers, X and w, representing the Pati-Salam partner to weak hypercharge and a new quantum number related to generations. Each of these corresponds to new u(1) valued elds, X and w, which presumably have large masses impeding their measurement. The use of the Pati-Salam model also implies a non-standard pair of fields, B1 , interacting with right-chiral fermions. In addition, there is a new field, x, interacting with leptons and
quarks. This field factors into three generations, x1=2=3, corresponding to different w quantum numbers, and a new Higgs scalar, , for each color and anti-color. The new eld, x, is ajoining of x and  in the same way e is a joining of the gravitational frame, e, and the Higgs,

Page 23
It is conceivable that there is a more complicated way of assigning three generations of fermions to the E8 roots to get standard model quantum numbers for all three generations without triality equivalence. There is such an assignment known to the author that gives the correct hypercharges for all three generations, but it is not a triality rotation and it produces
unusual spins. A correct description of the relationship between triality and generations, if it exists, awaits a better understanding.

Page 23
5. Discussion and Conclusion
There are a remarkable number of \coincidences" that work exactly right to allow all known fields to be uni ed as parts of one connection. The factors of 12 and 14 multiplying the spin connection and frame-Higgs result in the correct expressions for the gravitational Riemann curvature and the covariant Dirac derivative in curved spacetime. The fermions fit together
perfectly in chiral representations under graviweak so(7; 1), and the frame-Higgs has all the correct interactions. This frame-Higgs naturally gets a 4 potential and produces a positive cosmological constant. Finally, and most impressively, the fit of all fields of the standard model and gravity to E8 is very tight. The structure of E8 determines exactly the spinor multiplet structure of the known fermions.

Page 29
Future work will either strengthen the correlation to
known physics and produce successful predictions for the LHC, or the theory will encounter a fatal contradiction with nature. The lack of extraneous structures and free parameters ensures testable predictions, so it will either succeed or fail spectacularly. If E8 theory is fully successful as a theory of everything, our universe is an exceptionally beautiful shape.

The most interesting new concept to me:
Page 29
One enticing possibility is that the gravitational and cosmological constants run from large values at an ultraviolet fixed point to the tiny values we encounter at low energies. Most interesting to me is that the theory ties up the known relationships and suggests new ones which will be verifiable by experiment.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
this was my 8th grade science project but I got only a B because I threw in Avogadro's number as a variable instead of a constant.

with this high-powered math they should be able to channel Newton to get a handle on this gravity thing.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
cool shapes

for a pictorial explanation of the above go puff on a doobie and go to
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHw9zcCvRQ

but now we can get on to the question did God design these mathematics and shapes relationships? Did God pull any strings? (yuk, yuk):hystria: :hystria:

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
While I do like to surf and snowboard and sometimes in Tahoe like Lisi, I have not to any real degree pondered why I do not spin off into space along with boulders and elephants. Nor have I given it any real thought as to when my dog Bosco takes a crap why it falls to the ground instead of flying apart in all directions and all I can say is thank God.

As far as math goes I am still asking this question,does I Kings 7: 23-26 really signify the value of PI as 3?

The Sea and the Oxen

23 And he made the Sea of cast bronze, ten cubits from one brim to the other; it was completely round. Its height was five cubits, and a line of thirty cubits measured its circumference.
24 Below its brim were ornamental buds encircling it all around, ten to a cubit, all the way around the Sea. The ornamental buds were cast in two rows when it was cast. 25 It stood on twelve oxen: three looking toward the north, three looking toward the west, three looking toward the south, and three looking toward the east; the Sea was set upon them, and all their back parts pointed inward. 26 It was a handbreadth thick; and its brim was shaped like the brim of a cup, like a lily blossom. It contained two thousand baths.

The statement in the article that stood out the most and made the most sense to me was this: “The lack of extraneous structures and free parameters ensures testable predictions, so it will either succeed or fail spectacularly” and I whole heartedly agree with that statement.

I think I need to re-read the article.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
all right funnyman

:laugh: my little brain just explodedas my occupation disallows Fred1369's prescription

who's gonna bring me back too life? not some possum kisser:yikes:

I'll follow Einstein's other preoccupation, womanizing:yes:

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Faith...

is weird. I don't understand how it works. I don't necessarily mean religious faith, I mean faith or belief that "something" will work out, whatever it is you need working out. Some people call it "visualization", as in starting a business and visualizing that customers will walk in. Faith that your Mom will make it through surgery. Faith in winning lottery numbers doesn't usually happen.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a short movie of the calculations by Dr. Lisi. Very cool.
http://deferentialgeometry.org/anim/e8rotation.mov

Thanks Garrett. I'm not sure if you'd appreciate my interest in your work from a theolgical standpoint, but I am finding it very interesting. I also am facinated to see the "string-theorists" vehement attacks on you. Just goes to show that religious fanatisim is rampant in science too.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I'd dust this old thread off to let those of you who are still avidly following this thread :rolleyes: know that there is some possibilty that the LHC CERN may announce next Tuesday that there is a 3.5 Sigma certainty that they have found the Higgs Boson at about a mass of 125 GeV.

It ain't a 5-0 sigma, but hey, it's getting close...and may mean that soon the Standard Model may be be "confirmed."

PS. The news regarding the content of the planet's atmosphere just 500 Million years after the creation of the planet wasn't quite so happy for evolutionary micorbiologists today...but that's another thread.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled channel.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aren't we supposed to be concerned about the black hole that will develop when the LHC goes to WOT?
I believe they have scheduled that experiment for 12/21/2012.

:eek:

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Just thought I'd dust this old thread off to let those of you who are still avidly following this thread :rolleyes: know that there is some possibilty that the LHC CERN may announce next Tuesday that there is a 3.5 Sigma certainty that they have found the Higgs Boson at about a mass of 125 GeV.

It ain't a 5-0 sigma, but hey, it's getting close...and may mean that soon the Standard Model may be be "confirmed."

PS. The news regarding the content of the planet's atmosphere just 500 Million years after the creation of the planet wasn't quite so happy for evolutionary micorbiologists today...but that's another thread.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled channel.

PPS -- Evolutionary microbiologists, do not despair. Remember, it took the pious centuries to accept Galileo and that the Earth was more than a few thousand years old (actually, I think the ecclesiastical jury is still out on that one in some circles), so there's still hope.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts