V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
old timer
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am, really, bummed about this HD stuff. They want us to wear their logo on our t-shirts...they want their logo tattoo'd on our asses, they want all of our attire adorned with their badge and bar but when it comes to an open dialogue forum like this they want to shut it down because they have no control of it.

I, for one, am tiring of it quickly. You talk about control freaks.....

The MoCo wants to flood our lives with their advertising ploy by putting their logo on everything from panties to boots, but when a bunch of folks create and open exchange in the promotion of the product the MoCo produces and exploits us with they want to stifle it.

I am heretofore discontinuing the wearing of any item of apparel that contains a HD logo, I urge all of you to do the same. I am also removing the identifying logos from all of my motorcycles...I will start replacing any part that has a logo on it and eventually I'll get them all.

I urge each of you to wage a campaign of dissent by writing to HD and telling them that they are going to far to control our minds. Hell we are the people that keep them 'healthy.' We are the consumers of their product...why can't we use the logo to identify ourselves as such....isn't that what the logo was intended for.

They have gotten too big for their own customers?????

I am really pi$$ed about this intrusion.

manny

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Ummm... trademarks and logos are corporate assets used to create revenue. dprice mentioned that they were more concerned that he was making a buck (ad revenue) by using their marks and logos. So he stopped.

I personally don't share the love to the extent that I will pay $600 for a logoed leather jacket I could buy elsewhere for $200. But I did buy some gloves because they were priced right and keep blisters away :D

As long as the "PR value" of this site remains fairly neutral they will probably tolerate it and life will go on. MoCo bashing will go on as long as that's not the entire theme of the site. For the most part it's an enthusiast site and they will wisely leave it alone as long as it stays an enthusiast site.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Brother Manny, as ususal, you and I agree 100%.

You think you are pissed? Check this out.

Yesterday after work I was to go settle with the Insurance Company. Based on what the shop said, I would get the bike back this weekend.

I get a page while standing at the bus stop marked urgent. I go into the bank and they let me use the phone. Call the Harley Shop.

The bike is on the rack and damn if the frame ain't cracked and bowed! This is found 3 months after I took the bike in !

I tell em I am on the way. Get to the shop, look at the bike and sure as hell the frame is toast. While standing there I notice one of the fins on the front jug is busted. I ask the guy... "So when were you gonna get around to telling me about this?" He responds, "Damn! I did not even see that."

Well I flipped out on the spot and told em hands off till I can get an adjuster out there. ( I will make a point of being onsite when he shows up)

Personally, I think it is time to shoot the horse. She was a good horse, but it is time for a bullet.

I'll be damned if I am going to go into another two months of this crap only to find more stuff when trouble shooting the damn thing at that time.

Folks are always wondering is their warranty will be voided if they do their own work. These guys, "Professionals" are lame as rocks!

HARLEY STILL CANNOT PRODUCE THE FORK EITHER!

It ain't at all like the old days and there are specific reasons why.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sh1t, that's fu(ked!,JimmyK. I don't know the whole story behind the bike, I just know you have been waiting for front forks for a while. If the bike was wrecked, these knuckleheads are just seeing this now? I wouldn't take my bike to those idiots again. Paying what you pay for labor, you would think some quality would be included into the job. I bet you were pissed.
Manny, I'll stop buying Harley apperal right now............oops, I don't own anything with H-D yet. It is bull$hit, the way the MOCO is interfering with the site. Why is it such a big deal?(I heard that JimmyK) I guess they want all the money. "Too big for their britches", as my grandpa used to say. I don't know if boycotting will hurt of effect them. Perhaps a signed statement from the forum members might raise an eyebrow. Just my thoughts. Thanks. J.T.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
JimmyK said:
It ain't at all like the old days and there are specific reasons why.
Specific reason why.... is they don't care any more. They know that someone will plunk down the money for their bikes, pay a dealer outrageous prices to work on it and buy their overpriced crap.

I'm going to cleaning up garage this weekend, setting up a work bench and going to start doing minor stuff on the bike. I bought service manual for my bike and will buy what tools I need. Hopefully, I can go to Sears to get most instead of buying through H-D. What I can't do myself or with help of friends, I'll find a decent indy shop to work on it. Last resort/no other alternative will be dealer.

I also bought my jacket for $200(as mentioned above) at flea market and it's as thick and heavy as any H-D markets. Hey, and it's made in Pakistan same as the H-D stuff(or is theirs made in China? :rolleyes: That's another damn problem). It just doesn't have H-D on it. I've got enough t-shirts to last me for years. And if I lose some weight, I've got some 'new ones' in the closet. :D For cost of couple of t-shirts(@ $20+ a pop), I can get oil and stuff for bike. Save up a few times and I can spring for something else to put on bike(or better....save for 2nd one....:D....for wife).

I'm not a 'biker' but don't consider myself a 'rub' either. I have had bike for little over a year and have almost 19K in miles on it. I ride every day that I can. But I'm like everyone else, I'm tired of H-D MoCo looking at us as cash cows with no brains or balls. I waited 17 years before springing for one.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is another possibility.
They are known for defending their trademark rights agressively which they are entitled to, but the feedback from a site as this is too valuable to be their usual selves.
The fact it took them this long to act may tend to show they were just sitting on the sidelines and watching.

While there is some criticism of them on any Harley related site, the ones that are almost universally hated are most dealers, and for good reason, as besides their sales practices that in some cases are questionable at best, their competence in service related areas is dismal. Falsehood and outright lies are the order of the day, as well as work paid for and not performed. With the exception of some small long time family owned dealers, the service they provide would not be tolerated in Afghanistan.

Even a child knows the CSI surveys are coded and can be traced back to the individual owner. High CSI ratings are often bought with cheap trinkets or extorted with threats of perhaps not being able to get your next bike or getting whatever little warranty there is honored.

On a forum like this they can get real feedback.

I say they were lobbied by dealers to make life difficult for the site.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i own one hd t shirt and use it ta wax my bike...

i never understood why someone would pay ANY amount of money to wear a shirt,pants,boot,etc...with somebody ELSE'S name on it. why should i PAY THEM to advertise THEIR product??

hell, send me $34.50, and i'll send you a tshirt with MY name on it...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Unfriggginbelievable,JimmyK,I knew dealer **** was bad,but that's outrageous!!

I really believe the climate in MoFoCo land right now is gonna bite them in their ass someday.Big time.Maybe not next year,or the year after,but eventually.And won't it be sweet to stroll into their boutiques and pull a JimmyK and gleefully chortle "Bhlahahahaha" and point at all the purdy,unsold "stock" on the floor!!

manny,drinks on me.
guido

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't think there is one among us that wishes the MoCo ill.

One just hopes that as the tide changes they become a little more engineering and product, as opposed to strictly style oriented, and offer a little more value for the money.

Within the limitations of what they offer they often do the right thing, sooner or later they will be forced to look at the dealers a lot closer then they do now. Image can only take you so far, there comes a point where only substance will do.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Fu(k, I don't have any clothes left now!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts