V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here opt for head work...cams...geardrive and carb only on a twin cam??..stay stock with the cylinders?

anyone?..if so..any dyno specs or opinions?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Take a look at this build by the Doc.......

88" Build

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

that is what i am lookin for

got a hot rod build bike in the plans ..a second bike

my travelin bike..just and a little boost..and reliability

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've met people who did the gear drive and stayed 88. They liked the stock cam. I wonder if the head is a bit much.
Curious why your going to do heads but not bore it out?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
If your on a bugit and only can do one thing i would do cams I have seen a cupple of bike this year that the cam chain tensioners have worn out and Caused the oil pump to go bad.
just a thought

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Is there a good cam that can be used a 88" and then used later on 95"

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The stock cam doesn't come with the option of gear drive.
A cam that will work in a 88 then a 95 totally depends on the way you ride and your performance needs.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Met a guy who claimed to have kep stock cam and went to gear drive. I though it could be done with a little grinding.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
berserker said:
Met a guy who claimed to have kep stock cam and went to gear drive. I though it could be done with a little grinding.
Gear cams spin in opposite directions unlike chain cams that turn in the same direction.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Gear cams spin in opposite directions unlike chain cams that turn in the same direction.
So are you saying the guy was full of ****? I was talking to a guy a Sturgis, I had a few in me, sound beliveable.

I am kind of confused now. Why would cam spin in opposite direction?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
berserker said:
Be careful of what you hear and then print.....just because he is a dummy shouldn't reflect on you, some people can sound really convincing but know nothing about what they're talking about.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Well now I am really going to sound like a dummy. If the cam spins in opposite direction isn't your timing reversed? Only two cylinders ok?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
hdmd88 said:
The stock cam doesn't come with the option of gear drive.
A cam that will work in a 88 then a 95 totally depends on the way you ride and your performance needs.
So are you saying better off getting specific cam for build? I got 34k miles. Going to open up and inspect cam chest this winter. Was thinking might be a good time to convert to gear, if I got the $. Then maybe in future got to 95".
I do alot of touring and commuting. Looking for more power in 70-85 mph range. Pretty happy right now with low end. But I don't want to downshift when I am in 5th. Lots of time on interstate cars merging in lane and just don't have time to down shift.

Sorry if I hjacked.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Thinking about this. With chain top and bottom are spinng same way. With gears, bottom has to spin opposite of top, casue there meshing tgether. Is the cam differant, and still opens and closes in same order or is it reversed?

·
Registered
507 Posts
berserker said:
Thinking about this. With chain top and bottom are spinng same way. With gears, bottom has to spin opposite of top, casue there meshing tgether. Is the cam differant, and still opens and closes in same order or is it reversed?
I know less than 0 about gear driven cams, but common sense says that the cams would spin the same as chain driven cams, this would be accomplished via an idler gear.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Well I am not real big on common sense, thats why I was asking.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was looking for a pic like that, some where I have animations of various gears, to make sure that I had the correct info....ended up doing it on a piece of paper :yes:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
berserker said:
You got it my friend...the rear cam is ground differently than the chain drive cam, its backwards but the valve events are the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts