V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually pretty decisive in life, but I have a decision to make that's making me waver a bit.

I just got an 05 Low Rider to get back into the swing of riding since a back injury put me on the shelf for awhile. To be honest, the FXDL was not my first choice, it was the Softail Deluxe. However, given my back and given my hesitation to get back on the road because of my condition, I went with the lighter bike.

Now that the season is over, I have to admit I fear that I made a mistake in going with the Dyna. I am not trying to spit on Dyna's, the bike has been tremendous! That's my quandry. Do I go ahead and sell the Dyna and buy the Deluxe?

Now, the OL has been really supportive. She has said that whatever I decide she would support. I am prerty darn sure that this is not a grass-is-greener kind of thing.

So, my question to you guys is, "what would you do"?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...no, no, no.

Just go and get the Ultra. :D

I know it's a "garbage wagon" but I sure wish I had one. Don't get me wrong, me and my RK are solid, but if I was to buy tomorrow, Black Pearl Ultra would be in the stable.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
As anarchy said, riding a Deluxe would be a good option. But if you can't find one to rent or take for a test ride, you could go to Harley-Davidson's Web site and use their compare motorcycles feature, which allows you to directly compare the specifications of up to three motorcycles of your choice. Throw a Road King into the mix, for example.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
a friend of mine has a Lowrider & the one thing i don't like about it are the mid-controls & i can't move my feet around on the pegs as much as I can on floorboards.
if you don't take a beatin' on the LR...go for the Deluxe...or Touring bike

H

·
0 Posts
Far better to be on the bike you want, than constantly thinking you're not. The DeLuxe likely will not be last model you go with, but there aren't enough riding days to be on a bike that doesn't do it for you.

Harris

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
I think if your back is a concern hard to beat the ride on a bagger. Best
advice already given. Go try one. Good luck.

WHEN YOU THINK YOUR IN CONTROL YOUR NOT GOIN' FAST ENOUGH!!!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do you really think the bikes are that much differant to make it worth it? I could see going to touring bike. But to me those two bikes are not that much differant. But I have rode either.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Please note, the Deluxe is a lowered Softail. Softails do not ride as good as a dyna or a bagger. (lots may disagree but a lowered Softail would be stiffer than the other two)
If you have a bad back, go with the bagger if you ride alot or take trips. If you bar hop and just do a few pocker runs on weekends, it will not matter, get the Deluxe.
For style a Deluxe is great, for trips a bagger looks good and is a real joy to ride.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
the weight difference is only 52 lbs. the price difference is $1300. What do you like about the deluxe more than the dyna. If it's the looks, I think you'll always find a bike that's better looking than what you have. It's our nature to desire what we don't have. You only live once though, if it's a deluxe that's going to make you glad you woke up today then go for it. I live in Michigan and go to Ohio to buy my scoots for the better prices. shop around and give Ben Breece HD a ring. 419-523-4274
always msrp. free freight and set up. 15% discount for a year. great people too.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Try an Electra Glide, I owned a sporty, Wide glide, Softail Std & Custom, got my first bagger in 2003 and I'll never go back. It almost drives itself and is easy on these old broken down bones.

:beer4u:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
brownjams said:
the weight difference is only 52 lbs. .
I was to lazy to look. Didn't think it was even that much. I wouldn't have let 50lbs change my mind. You wouldn't have noticed it.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
seats for bad backs

for all you bagger fans, which would be the better seat.. a wide touring Mustang or a gel filled Saddleman explorer? I asked this question in the seats section but didn't get any answers.
Fred

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got the one piece ultra touring seat on my FLHR great seat. Raised me a little over the two peice. Two peice was worn out by 20k miles. I am 160lb, so not like I am huge. The one peice is very hard at first. Almost took it off, But once you get used it, it is great. Don't know about saddleman. If I remeber right the passeger seat look kind of small and it didn't come forward to the riders back.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Fred1369 said:
for all you bagger fans, which would be the better seat.. a wide touring Mustang or a gel filled Saddleman explorer? I asked this question in the seats section but didn't get any answers.
Fred
I've been searching for just the right seat for about a year. I tried several on my bagger. The saddleman sets me up to high, the road zepplin moved me forward and up, alot, and was to wide in the front. I'm leaning towards the mustang wide single with backrest and the wide p pad. The factory seat has the best placement but the support sucks for the long haul. Hard to find both.
:dunno:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Got a bad back, surgery, the whole deal.

Rode my FXR for many years, this year I'm selling it. It's rubber mounted and works well, but the ride simply isn't in the same league as the FLHT I just built.

The FL Touring bikes are about as good as it gets in terms of comfort and being able to ride longer without getting beat up, especailly with the full fairing out on the highway. There is not need to battle the wind and stress the lower back.

Softails, look cool, but they are still solid mounted and transmit a hell of a lot more vibes at 70 and above compared to an FLHT. Not to mention that they have less travle in the rear and they will send more road jolts to your back than a dyna or a FLHT will.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
I have an '05 Deluxe and have owned or rented an '05 Sportster 1200 and an '04 Road King Custom. Never ridden a Dyna but I love the new Street Bob. I have to admit the Softail and the Sporty were both hard on my back (2 ruptured disks, degenerative disorder, scoliosis, blah, blah, blah). The Touring was better. The handlebars have a lot to do with it. The big beach bars on the Deluxe and the stock seat make it hard on the back. I did 8 hours in the saddle on the RK without a problem. But I switched to a Corbin seat with their oval backrest on my Deluxe and it is heaven for may back now. I can ride all day. I can only image what a Mustang Wide Touring with their back rest would be like on the RK. Ahhh. I had the Mustang Vintage Wide Touring and backrest on my Deluxe but I sold it after a couple of weeks. It had me up too high, too mushy. The Corbin keeps me in place, and the highway pegs and backrest take the strain off the lower back. You'll end up modifying whatever you buy and both the Touring and Softails can be made "back friendly". Maybe just a little more work to get the Softy there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts