V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my good friend my 04 1200C Sportster last year to get my Night Train. I loved the bike but just wanted something different. The question I have now is about my old Sporty. He is having problems with the bike, It keeps on going off while riding. When you first start it the yellow (starter/fuel pump??) light comes on for a second and then the power all goes off. If you touch the wires on the left side battery cover it come back on and off. I got it to start tonight but while I was riding around the block the yellow (starter/fuel pump??) light came on and then the power went off for the entire bike.
I know this is a long post but was wondering if anyone has ANY ideas on this problem before he brings it into the dealer to get checked out.
I really appreciate any help.
Thanks alot

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Main breaker maybe? is it still under warranty?
'04's had 2 years unlimited miles.
If so I'd get it to the dealer pronto while the warranty is still good.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
It sounds like an electrical short that is intermittent. Im no electrical wizz but I would begin with that premise. Troubleshoot the system that the yellow light is on.

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I will be helping him out tomm. morning.
thanks again

·
Registered
39 Posts
check the bat cables all the way down to the motor, i had this problem too and i found that the cable was corroded where it connected to the motor. check that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am just grasping at straws here,but does the Sporster have the tip over safety switch that shuts off everything in case the bike falls over?BTW Nice Train.

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got a chance to check on his bike...............I cleaned up all terminals and wires. put the battery on a charger and it was all charged up correctly. Put everything back together and tried to start and all i got was alot of clicking. Sop I am guessing the starter is no good???? Any ideas before he takes it into the stealer?
thanks for all the replies again!

wvwayne, thnaks for the compliment on my Train.............

·
Banned
169 Posts
wvwayne said:
I am just grasping at straws here,but does the Sporster have the tip over safety switch that shuts off everything in case the bike falls over?BTW Nice Train.
It does have the bank angle switch and they have been known to go bad intermittently

:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts