V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at the service manual diagrams to try and figure this out, but I still don't know, and I'm too lazy right now to take the headlight off. Besides, I have taken the darn thing off four times in the last week to adjust / re-adjust my handlebars... and even if I did look at it, the chance that I'll know what I'm looking at will be slim.

SO!

The question is:

Is that accessory switch hot? Is there a power connection jammed up in the headlight? Additionally, if there isn't a connection, will I have to buy a "Y" spliter for the main harness from HD so I can run both my spotlights and a new accessory connection device?

I want to install a stereo, but I'd like to run it off an accessory connection, with as little cutting and splicing as possible. Plus I thought it would be neat to use the accessory switch to turn the stereo on / off, instead of having to lift up the rain cover and press a button.

I'm sure someone on here knows about the HD wiring! I for one don't know the first thing about electrical wiring other than flipping the breaker when my wife's hairdryer overloads. Well... that and I know that licking a 9-volt battery makes my tongue feel funny.

·
Registered
927 Posts
No, it's not *always* hot, but tied into the ignition. I made a jumper going from the top connecter of the switch to the passing lights, to get around the low beam only switch without cutting any wires. You can but the HD connecters very cheaply if you want to do something like this.

The switch isn't powered when the ignition is off though, although I'm sure you could make it that way if you wanted. You shouldn't have to remove anything to get it off, just pull off the boot and remove the retaining nut (some people have been able to just twist the base of the boot, without removing it from the nut, but not me). The whole switch will then back out. I used a small drop of superglue to reattach the boot to the nut, but others might have a better way. I've never had any problems though.

Now just a WAG here, but I think it was a 15 amp circuit, so I wouldn't go berserk with high amperage stuff on just that one switch.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Thanks!

That save the trouble of running a fused connection from the battery. I was thinking that the switch was dead but could be used if wired. Now I know it's all ready wired, I just need to hook something up to it.

Thanks again!

H

·
0 Posts
Czar,

It is not only wired, but wired to the Accesory plug, under your seat. There's a four pin Duetsch connector there. That connector has a ground, a brake lamp position, a "hot" position, and a position switched to the accesory switch.

Harris

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, now I understand...

The switch is connected to the accessory plug under the seat. There is no plug in the headlamp housing for me to connect to.

If I want to use the accessory switch, then I have to plug a device to the connection under the seat.

Got it! :D

·
Run Silent Run Deep...
190 Posts
Sitting on the bike, the switch on the right (throttle side) IS wired to a connector in the headlight nacelle, and is hot when the ignition switch is ON. It is most commonly used for the passing lamps, The HD passing lamps come with a mating plug that mates with the one in the headlight nacelle. The switch on the LEFT, or Clutch side is wired to a Deutch plug under the seat, and can be hot all the time or not depending on which pins in the Deutch plug you choose to use, I have a home made "harness" that I use for anything from a socket to charge a cell phone or run a radar detector to powereing the lights on my removeable tour pack I hope this helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
czar said:
OK, now I understand...

The switch is connected to the accessory plug under the seat. There is no plug in the headlamp housing for me to connect to.

If I want to use the accessory switch, then I have to plug a device to the connection under the seat.

Got it! :D
No, if you lay on the ground and look up at the underside of the left nacelle area just so you can see the back of the switch, there's an open male connector (or two, I cant remember) that you can plug into right at the switch, you don't have to go under the seat and access it there.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK... so there is a connection at the headlight AND a connection under the seat that can potentially be wired to the accessory switch if the right pins on the deutch connector are used.

I never said I was all that quick. I admit to being a bit slow sometimes.

Thanks gentlemen!

·
Run Silent Run Deep...
190 Posts
Correct, there 2 switches, one on the right (throttle side) and one on the left (Clutch side) The one on the left is connected to the plug under the seat, and the one on the right is connected to a connector in the head light nacelle, this one may be able to be accessed by reaching under the nacelle. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Hmm have found the following on the coonector under the seat:

Pin1 = Negative
Pin2 = hot if brake NOT applied
Pin3 = hot if brake applied
Pin4 = hot whenever ignition is on AND aux switch is on

Is there any way to make pin 4 hot ALLWAYS when Aux switch is on- allso when ignition is off

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
If you want it hot all tof the time, go to the main hot wire. The acessories switch powers everything except the ignition and the ignition powers everthing.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Maybe a language thing - but I don't undestand what you mean... I would like it hot whenever the accesories switch is ON regardles if ignition is on or not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts