V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I noticed that there are quite a few people who enjoy using the blue dot in their tail lights or turn signals. What is the significance of the blue dot? I know that the blue dot is not legal in some areas, and my guess would be because the blue is used for law enforcement or emergency vehicles.

My question is, why do some people like it? I personally don't care for the look, but was wondering what the attraction was.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
So far as I know it's a 50's retro thing, purely aesthetic. I had one in the tail light of my old '91 Sporty. They emit a purple glow that intensifies when the brake is applied.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My husband had a blue dot in the taillight of his 89 Springer Softtail. The purple glow actually takes away from the brightness of the light. I suggest you keep the red taillight to be seen.

Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to agree with you hugasport...it does take away from the brghtness of the light. Kinda gives it a "dull" affect.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
They are illegal here in NC too, and I don't know of anyone that has been hassled by the man. I run them becasue they do emit a purple glow that is different from the the same old boring red that every one is so used to seeing. I feel that it intensifies the light when the break is applied also. Just want to be different so I can be seen. Ain't that the point? :confused:

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
I agree they're cool lookin' but....from a safety standpoint they're trouble. If we lived in a perfect world where everyone was smart, used common sense and drove fully alert at all times I'd say sure why not. But most people are conditioned to associate the color red with brake lights. Some cager on a cell phone with his head up his ass will likely rearend you and claim he never saw your brake light.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
FXDeanX said:
But most people are conditioned to associate the color red with brake lights. Some cager on a cell phone with his head up his ass will likely rearend you and claim he never saw your brake light.
And from a civil law standpoint, anything a person (biker or cager) does to reduce or change his/her ability to be seen or see from whatever the norm is, will definitely enter into the lawsuit picture. That especially includes reducing/changing rear light visibility for bikes and things like cell phone use and excessive/illegal window tint for cagers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree with Fugly:

I have been running them for years on my custom cars and my Motorcycles.

IN MY EXPERIENCE-- i have had many people including laong haul truckers tell me that they can see my blue light at a far greater distance that the red tail lights. so they feel it gives an added reaction time if a stop had to occur.

It a taste thing so do what you want to.

Regards.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
You will find that in most states 'blue dot' tail lights are illegal on any vehicle unless it's over 40 years old. Most laws read "that the rear lights must be red". Washington SB-5735 is being rewritten to say basically "Rear Taillights must be Red, except cars over 40 years old and all makes/model motorcycles". Guess the NHTSA views adding the blue light increases the visibility and is backing the SB. Lived out in Washington State for a few years and got popped by the Issaquah locals for having blue dots in my scooter so I've been kinda keeping up with their laws over the past few years. During the 'blue dot' stop the officer issued me a ticket for not having a litter bag on my vehicle (scooter). Yep, you heard me right, Washington State has/had a law requiring all vehicles to have litter bags and all vehicles includes motorcycles. Carried one in my back pocket for years after that. Back to the 'blue dot' in Texas the law reads that the tail/break light will be red or amber or some color in between. I was informed by a Texas DPS office that purple was not between red and amber.

My suggestion, for what's it worth, unless they change the law, don't run 'em. I don't anymore because it is 'just cause' for the local to stop you. Unless, you just want to discuss the issue with your favorite local and if you're in Washington State be sure you have a litter bag in your pocket !!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Interesting enough, the wave length that the color blue resides in is more noticeable to the human mind. That is why so many people have issues with the new "headlight beams" that are now coming out. Becuase the light has more intensity in the "blue" spectrum, it is perceived as "brighter"...

My phys lesson for the evening :)

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I've never read a study on the subject, but in my way-too-many years as a trooper, I noticed that our red lights seemed more effective in the daytime and our blues were more effective at night or during poor visibility conditions. For that reason, our light bars were both red and blue.....best of both worlds. Amber is also very effective at night.

Since the combination of red and blue = purple, I don't know what that means regarding the blue dot issue. Probably nothing since most state laws currently prohibit them. In Oklahoma, at least, we didn't mess with them unless the driver was doing something else in addition to just having blue dots.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I reached a happy medium on my RK. I installed the conversion kit that makes the turn signals act as brake lights & instead of the standard red lens that you install, I used blue dots.

That way my tail light (and center brake light) remain red. The blue dots work as turn signals and additional brake lights. I've had quite a few people tell me that they really show up.

My love of blue dots comes from the 50's hot rod era. I've alway run them on my "toys".

I have seen a number of state laws that have a range of colors.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I do not have any blue dot lights on my bike but I do have a lighted "Ford" emblem on the grill of my truck. This too lights up blue and I've been involved in many discussions regarding this over at f150online. Prior to purchasing this light I inquired it's legality in Massachusetts through a PO freind of mine. He said that as a local he probably would not bother me about the light but was'nt sure if the State Police had issues with it. Had it on for over 2 years now without any problems. (Knock on wood) I see more and more cars now with those blue dots on the windsheild squirters. My son has lighted red dice hanging from his mirror and he was stopped for it the other day. Got him for "Obstructed View".:D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Either way, it's always best to stay out of trouble and attract less attention by following the local rules :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
The blue dot is a very interesting subject to talk about because of safety issues. But, I would say that the comparison of lights between cars and mototcycles are quite different? In my car I have followed several bikes at the appropriate distance during the day or night and found that the blue dot was not as bright as the red ones.

How about license plate lights? As long as it is not Christmas lights!
Harley Girl

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote-
...most people are conditioned to associate the color red with brake lights.

In my opinion, most people are conditioned to associate "blue" with the cops, which is scary when your driving along in your cage. Can't speak for the Volvo driver on a cell phone.

However, blue is more toward the center of the spectrum (remember ROY G BIV; red, orange yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet = the visible spectrum)

Therefore, according to ole Roy, the human eye should see blue better than red. I've run blue dots for years because none of my friends like it and think I'm a ******* for doing it. I like that.

Next time the cops are sitting there with their "blue light" flashing, see if the red ones are as noticable.
Gene P.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
The way that I understand the -- "intent/purpose" -- of the law concerning blue lights is that blue is associated and restricted to emergency vehicles/law enforcement.
Running them is like saying; "Here I am officer--permission to mess with me." ;)
Years ago in the Salt Lake City area some guy was running a portable blue light on his dash board that he used to pull women over thinking that they were being pulled over by the Police.
He raped several women this way until getting caught.
Technically, it is against the law to even run amber lights facing the rear of your vehicle if they are constantly lit up, flashing amber for turn signals are ok.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts