V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long week, so I decided to take 5 and tell a story. First "ride", 12 years old, NE Ohio, a Cheetah made by Lincoln Electric. Probably one of the first "fat tires"(both front and rear). 7.5 HP Briggs. Ride the RR tracks all day and never tell the difference between cross ties and a paved parking lot.
Moved to Georgia at 15, two years later a '75 Kawasaki 400 - 3 cylinder/ 2 stroke. Fast little booger, but smoked too much when it got hot, which is the way it stayed most of the time.
Army after high school, 2 years on tanks in the Fulda Gap. Back to Georgia in '82, got married, (great wife, 18 years this month). Been printing for 17 years.Couldn't afford anything for a while, then got a Shadow in '94. It was cheap and cute in it's own Honda way.
Started my own shop 4 years ago. Like my buds think, I'm getting rich- 12 hour day, six day weeks at a time. Dress like "Mr. CEO" but still have ink under my nails and put band-aids on the busted knuckles so I can make the occassional sales call to land more work. So I'm really amused at all the pre-judging that goes on in the riding circles. "I am what I am"(Quoting the immortal Popeye)

First scooter, a 2000 FXDL. Thought it was the perfect choice.
Now I'm riding an '01 Ultra, (one of the slow blue ones). Think she's a keeper. Do my own routine maintenance, trickier stuff goes to a good independant. Hell on wheels at press repair though.
Many hobbies and interests, like to be in the wind every chance(low profile wind screen), but got to pay the tax man at the same time.

IMHO your forum's the best place on the 'net
Later, Printer

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Printer, It sounds like you have a very good attitude. We are pleased to have you here. Thanks for your story and welcome to the forum.

Later,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Printer... I was on tanks at Fulda too! 3rd Armored 1971. Did border duty too but can't remember the place. Had to masking tape all our track numbers and squadron insignias too!
Just found this site about an hour ago!
Up...............
Jueno, Dan NM

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
68th Armor Wildflecken

Dan
1st/68th battalion 81-82. Wonderful Wildflecken, Germany. Went to the the north end of the Gap and smiled at comrade on the border for days at a time. I guess we wanted them to know we could come visit anytime we wanted. We did have to cover insignia and stay on our best behavior for the photo shoots. Hated it and loved it at the same time. If only the damn tank heaters worked.
Printer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heaters

Funny how the guys whose tracks had working heaters also had guard duty at the motor pool the night before! Swingin Budingen Germany.
Wildflecken is where my brother Steve rolled over in an APC and was injured badly but 2 other guys died! I was on manuvers in Hoernfells (sp) at the time. Did you all have to go to Graf for qualifing with the main gun? At that time we were using the M60A-1. Our company bolowed for Peace and as a punishment, we stayed 2 months to hump ammo and put out range fires! We were mostly Nam Vets with bad attitudes! If I knew what I know now, I'd do it again! Jueno, Dan

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Welcome.

Printer,

Welcome aboard! Pretty good story. Looking forward to more.
i know t5he bills have to be paid, but ride when you get a chance.

Ride Safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts