V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are talking '02 FLHT again here. At temps about freezing and below the speedometer only registers about 2/3 of what the actual speed should be. This morning with the temp at 22 and where I should have been over 50 mph, I could not get the speedometer over 35. Is this a normal phenomenon?

Second, the wide sissy bar seat back. This has the funky 3 bolt flange that press fits the back to the sissy bar hoop. Since this does not actually bolt into something solid the back is in place but loose and slides around. Is there a repair? It seems that as it is tightened it may be pulling the mounting nuts out of the back. My next step may be to cut the seams to get inside the padding, but that may also ruin the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Not sure if this is your speedo problem or not, as it's not related to the cold. Have seen a lot of them do this, if the engine is started too quick after the ignition is turned on. When the ignition is turned on, the speedo goes thru a little initialization routine, you can actually see the needle jump. Fix is to simply wait until the routine is done or until the Red engine light goes out if you prefer that. If this doesn't help, I haven't heard about any cold related problems with it.

As to the passenger backrest, good luck. It's a very poor design. The pieces that the bolts screw into have flanges on the back side to keep them from pulling thru. Only thing I could do was tighten them up a little more. My pad would always move a little if it was pulled on. I installed a chopped tour pak and now my problem is solved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to wait on the starts after switching the ignition and see how that affects the speedo. I did get another response on another forum , that said this problem affects his bike about every 7000 miles and he fixes it by about cleaning the speedo sending unit mounted on the transmission. There was a heavy film with metal shavings covering this magnetic pickup, I cleaned it last night and the speedo worked perfect though there was a 30 degree temp this morning. Thanks for your inputs I'll monitor them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
ditto on the starting routine, I have an 02 flht 11k on it and I always wait for the speedometer pointer to settle down before pushing the start button, if not it will stall at around 40 mph, never took the sending unit out.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
bugeater: I'm sure it couldn't hurt cleaning the sensor and the metal on it could cause bad readings but sure don't understand what cold temperatures would have to do with it. Shavings on the sensor should affect the speedo reading at any temperature.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it seems wierd and maybe when the transmission would warm up to operating temps the speedo would work correctly. But it was the only difference from previous problem, I didn't try the wait for start until this morning. Just happy it works again.

·
Banned
999 Posts
what EdY said. only instance on my 01 (did same thing) was when I didn't go thru the slow motion prestart sequence of letting CEL go off before starting eng. I noticed I was running 3000 rpm in 5th and showing 40 mph. on next startup I followed the recommended practice and she was alright.

speedo is electric, heat shouldn't matter. its just reading the induced voltage that the sensor picks up when the gears in tranny rotate past sensor.

·
Itch'in to go
98 Posts
Seatback

Try 3 plastic washers, preferably clear in colour, gives the seatback a secure fit and also prevents rust forming as metal screws on metal is absurd. It is a stupid setup but the washers do work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts