V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Formal introduction, eh? Well, I’m a 35-year-old Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army, married to a beautiful souvenir I picked up my first tour in Germany, 14 years ago. I have a daughter, 13 who also loves riding with me.

I rode some dirt bikes back in high school, but never had a license. Just before getting married I wanted a Ninja 750, but decided that getting married was better for me at the time. About 4 years ago, I convinced the wife to “allow” me to by a bike this way.

…while looking through a bike mag…
me: ”Babe, I’ve been thinking about maybe getting a bike.”
wife: “mmmhuh.”
me: “No really. I really like this Fatboy. What do you think.”
wife: “That’s really nice looking. How much?”
me: (without hesitation- I knew I had to ease her into this, and I had a masterplan) “Oh, about $14,000.”
wife: “Well, looks like that won’t be happening anytime soon.”
me: (flipping a few more pages) “ Hey, how do like this one? (Yamaha V-Star Classic)”
wife: “Kinda looks like that other one. That looks nice too, but we’re not paying $14,000 for a bike!”
me: (ready to set the hook) “Wow, says here it’s only about $6000.”
wife: “I like that bike a lot better.”

And so goes the first part of the plan. I purchased a 99 V-Star Classic, and loved every minute of it. And just as I thought, so did my wife. We rode all over Texas, and Germany once we moved here in 2000. Germany is such a beautiful place to ride, but the season is very short (4 months tops). And being in the Army makes it even shorter considering we go to the field about once a month.

The next part was the “upgrade”. Surprisingly it wasn’t hard to convince her that we needed a bigger bike for trips. The 650 V-Star (pics attached)is a great first bike. I lowered it, punched the pipes, and fed it lots of chrome. It is a handsome ride that never let me down. But it was time for a new bike.

I’m stationed in Germany right now, and deployed to Kosovo. I’ve got my money on a 2003 FLHRCI Road King Classic, and will be picking it up in Texas, when I move back to the States next June. Silver/Black with all the trimmings.

It was a 5-year plan but well worth the wait. Wouldn’t you agree?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The V-Star is a nice looking bike. Lots of folks waited a lo-o-ong time to get their first Harley including myself. We will all agree that is was worth the wait. Glad you joined us. What part of Texas are you from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Targetman2000,

".....$6000....I like that bike better..."

LOL...Life with the wife is so funny. I love those happy endings. Great choice for a bike, but you ain't done yet! Louder pipes, more comfy seat...you got a lot more chess matches with your better half to go. Way to go!

John

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great plan, it took a while but it seems to have worked out real well for you. BTW the 650 V-Star is also a very good bike but if you are going two up I think a 650 would wear on you.

Welcome to the board,

Dave

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dave51 said:
What part of Texas are you from?
Dave,
I'm a Kentuckian by upbringing (born in GA). I was stationed in Killeen (FT Hood) for 3 years prior to coming back to Germany. When I leave Germany next year I will be going back to Hood. I have about 3 years left until retirement (from the Army) and plan to settle down in the San Marcos area (anywhere between Austin & San Antonio).

Oh...and I have a bumper sticker that reads, " I wasn't born a Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!":D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Glad you're settling in Texas. You will like the Austin/San Marcos area.
The San Marcos River is one of my favorite tubing/drinking activities.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
We really enjoyed it last time we were there. Lots of good times. With my wife being German, it suits her just fine (with the large German/American population). So where exactly you from?

-Keith

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Big city and bright lights. Not. Born and raised in Bryan Tx...now living in Navasota Tx (about 20 minutes south of Bryan/College Station). Hate Navasota but my job is here. Not to mention a three bedroom 2 1/2 bath apartment for $108/month. Job perk.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What's up, targetman2000? Firstly, welcome to the forum. We got a few things in common. My first duty station was at Hood. (21st CSH) Then came here to Wurzburg(67th CSH). Gettin' me a German wife, too. It took 33 yr.s and I had to go to another country to find her, but......WELL WORTH IT! I pick up my 2002 FLHR, two-tone red/black when I ETS(31MAR03). The waiting sucks! First enlistment and plan to go home to complete a BSN. Enjoyed the time active, but have other plans. Plan to go reserve/guard and maybe back active. Depends on school. Sorry, but I won't be going back to Texas, though. Born and raised in VA. Always thought there was something inherently wrong with being someplace where it was still over 100 F after midnight!(Personally speaking, of course)
Anyway, enjoy Bamberg. I know I love Germany and will hate to leave. At least I can always come back and have a place to stay.(inlaws):D
Peace, J.T.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Targetman,
Looks like I'm about one jump ahead of you! I'm active duty Air Force and recently returned from Europe to San Antonio (Lackland AFB). I'm not a Texan by birth, but by choice. I can retire in 2 years and this is the spot. I got my FLHR thru AAFES and saved a bundle. I've been riding all the great Texas Hill Country roads around SA, so look me up next June and we'll break in your RK properly. Wil' Bill

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on Wil' Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts