V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Ultra Classic 96 CI with 6 speed. I bought the bike used. The only thing I know about the bike being from stock to custom is Rush Slip-ons and Stage 1. I am putting a K&N (HD-1499) in it soon. I went to my local dealer last week and asked about tuning my bike. He said it definitely needed to be tuned and I had to pay $450 for the SEST and $340 to have it tuned. I would like to have it put on a Dyno and tuned but wow, $800 for a tune? Is there a better route than the dealer? Are the little changes I have done even worth getting a tune? Would a PC be a better idea?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I have an 07 Ultra Classic 96 CI with 6 speed. I bought the bike used. The only thing I know about the bike being from stock to custom is Rush Slip-ons and Stage 1. I am putting a K&N (HD-1499) in it soon. I went to my local dealer last week and asked about tuning my bike. He said it definitely needed to be tuned and I had to pay $450 for the SEST and $340 to have it tuned. I would like to have it put on a Dyno and tuned but wow, $800 for a tune? Is there a better route than the dealer? Are the little changes I have done even worth getting a tune? Would a PC be a better idea?
Well that is the way to go. Now you need to ask around and see if they tune a bike or just throw different calibrations into it.there is difference in tuning a bike and installing maps and making wideopen throttle runs on a dyno.
if they are going to tune it while you wait? Probably need to find a diff shop to tune.
now if they spend the time to tune/sample all areas and make changes to the entire map then ..that is a decent price. There are cheaper routes,but that is what they are a cheap attempt to tune a bike. Most times they run worse.
do it right the first time and it saves money in the long run

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until I can afford to get the dynotune, would you recommend that I get a tuner for the time being to at least get my bike more in tune, at least closer to the correct mixtures?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
TTS mastertune goes for around $450.00 ( ebay has decent prices)they say its basicly the same as the SEST....But you can tune the bike your self with a laptop, and if you really want it dynoed, you can do it later...I put one on my bike and see no need for a dyno, good mpg,power runs nice..Its intimidating at first but with help from these forums it aint all that hard....well worth the effort...

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 on the TTS. Lots of excellent info available to help you tune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts