V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys my desk top froze up on me. Says to boot up in safe mode but it won't allow me to do that or anything else for that matter. A friend says I might have lost the hard drive. Any suggestions?

·
<><
3,971 Posts
On mine (same symptom) it was a bad motherboard. Went to PC Club, selected all the components and they built a new one exactly how I wanted. I saved money over anything else with the same components. Picked a great looking case with lots of cooling, and they installed my old hd alongside the new one. Made it real easy to transfer files, so now I use the old hd as backup. I HOPE you didn't lose your hd, but even if you did sometimes they can get it spinning and pull data..

Just checked, no PC Club anywhere near your area. If there's anything geeky near you that'll build a computer, I'd say do it. A lot of fun selecting the components & absolutely zero problems.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will not allow me to access the boot menu. Cannot get into safe mode at all but will allow me into the setup utility but I don't know what that will let me do.

I'm getting an error msg saying Dell disk monitoring system is seeing an error in my drive and to back up files immediately but I can't do anything.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Get a hold of Frank if you can. His extensive computer knowledge has bailed me out numerous times.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Find a computer that works, open both of them and add the suspect hard drive into the working computer to see if you can access the files on it. You may need to change the jumpers on the drive to make it a secondary rather than primary drive. If this works then you know the drive is ok and it's something else plus you can make a backup of the important files from that no-longer suspect drive. If it doesn't work then you know it's the drive that's bad.

Buy a new hard drive if you need to and install it in the non-working computer. Install your licensed copy of Windows and restore the files from the most recent backup you have.

Get a USB external hard drive and use it to make regular backups.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fourhour said:
Get a hold of Frank if you can. His extensive computer knowledge has bailed me out numerous times.
Yep. Asking him too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts