V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Few Questions From A Newbie regarding building a custom drag/chopper

Hi guys,

I am planning on building a HD from scratch. I know it's more expensive and time consuming but I want to get the groundwork done fairly quick to get the basics up and running (Frame, tank, suspension, wheels, eng/tran, drive) and I'll put finishing touches on it as I ride. I used to build the ricers (PITA).

Anyway, my question is where to start (frame obviously)... But what are the brands I should research? All I know for brands are Arlen Ness, S&S and the parts Jesse James crafts... It's been tough searching around the net as well as the forum.

I'm only looking for brands and basics for custom building...

What I want is a low bike, big engine, with a fatty in the back. I'm used to riding with a 200+ from the ricers and I like the ride as well as the look. Those are the main interests as far as what I am looking for. I also want to try a belt drive, any different from a chain?

Do I want a softtail frame? I also read that there are lowrider frames?

Do I want a HD engine or an S&S or other?

These are the basic types of questions I have. I plan on doing some comparisons and research but I need to start somewhere.

I guess I should start with a frame. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys.:D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
How much $ do you want to spend? Thats the burning question.

If I had the bucks:
Merch 130 ci motor
Baker 6 speed
Isodyne frame

Build your rolling chassis , fit trans,motor,tank fenders wheels breaks ect.. take apart & paint everthing. Build final product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was stuck at work for 12 hours and I literally read about 15 easyriders (Over a years worth) and have a good idea of what I am looking for.

I am going to start looking for a frame. Does the brand really matter that much? I mean what should I stay away from? I want a frame that is a soft tail and will accept a 250 rear tire. Ness has a nice one ($$$$???)

As far as engines, I can't lose with a HD, no?... Others seem really expensive. I am on a little budget. There is no cap but I have to be cost-minded.

I have a start, could anyone else add?

There is supposedly a builders guide by easyriders. Is there anything on the net like this?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Basically you will have a custom bike, it will not be HD....

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I think there are kits you can buy that have most of the essential stuff or possibly even the whole bike if you want. That may defeat the whole purpose of building your "own" bike though. I think you can save money doing it that way though.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
FXDeanX that is one helluva a great link.

FJC - I'd say by the time you go through all the links listed on that site, you will either have all your answers or be too old to ride the damn thing.

I think you should give some thought to the motor before you move on. There is a local place that specializes in building custom frames around the Harley 88B. The choice of motor will be what you build the bike around. (For example IF you could land a Revolution you will need a 'lotta space in the frame to squeeze it in. )

-Good luck and post us some pics as you move along.

If you haven't already, check out this thread here , Holli from Germany has been kind enough to treat us to the whole reconstruction of his bike every few days.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
On a bugget :
H-D motor & trans
Mid USA frame
Do your own painting (I hope your good)
Buy as much cheep stuff as you can from Ebay.

OR Buy a new FXST for 15 grand OTD from a MSRP dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mid USA frame? I like them but they're still expensive... I can paint. My friend owns a body shop and he'll let me use his equip. It's a lot easier than painting a car as long as the metal is fabricated well.

What's an FXST?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
About a grand less than Ness! They include the swing arm & handles a 250 tire.
You can get any old cheep frame for 500 - 800 bucks but you get what you pay for inless its a deal on a used or someone not going the build there bike after all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kags said:
About a grand less than Ness! They include the swing arm & handles a 250 tire.
You can get any old cheep frame for 500 - 800 bucks but you get what you pay for inless its a deal on a used or someone not going the build there bike after all.
They're online catalog only says that the wide frame can only hold a 200...

I misread before. I thought they were priced at around 3000.00

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at the list provided above and might go with "killer choppers" of New Hampshire or "RC Components". Killer choppers seem to have their s**t together and a Softtail frame is only 2500.00 (250 tire).

I am also thinking of going with a HD evolution. It's a good motor for the money, no?

Any thoughts?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
chops said:
Basically you will have a custom bike, it will not be HD....
And don't even try to get it titled as one and sale it. The h-d company will come after your butt if they hear about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buy U a basket case and have a REAL HARLEY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How Are Santee Frames and Rev-Tech engines? I think they are made by Custom Chrome...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts