V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dec 7 1941

Had the news on since 4:30am and not one mention of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Guess it's not politically correct anymore. :boom:

{salute(

Attachments

·
Just Sayin'
2,542 Posts
Thanks for posting that picture. And Thank You Vets for your present and/or past service to this country. Because of you, we sleep safe in our beds at night.{salute(

:USA:

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,766 Posts
I have noticed this the last few years, not much mention of it.

My calendar still says Pearl Harbor Day. Thanks to those who paid the ultimate price.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Sadly I have not seen it mention last few years myself, I'll see it on FB passed along by folks.

God Bless that Generation! I don't expect us to ever see another generation like them.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I've been so busy here at work, I didn't even know what today's date was.:duh?:

God Bless all of those who paid the ultimate price that day.:USA:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Recognition of this solemn event as well as rembrance on 9/11 is slowing disappearing. Much like Veterans Day Parades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,563 Posts
Ya, not much interest in National Honor these days. And the big media is targeted on the large metro areas, so the news is going to tilt to the left, so as to keep the minions happy.

But the message is still good. The USAF was supposed to put a pair of bombers over South Korea yesterday, to piss Short&Round off. Only one was able to get off the ground in Guam. The other had a maintenance abort and no one had considered having a standby on alert.

So I'm guessing that the USAF probably has true combat ready numbers similar to the Navy and Marines. And events are dictating the need for warm fuzzy relations with the Japanese. Russia and China would seem to be ready to honor their treaties with the S&R.

But it is the 7th, so perhaps a little reflection is in order.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
Sadly I have not seen it mention last few years myself, I'll see it on FB passed along by folks.

God Bless that Generation! I don't expect us to ever see another generation like them.
I refuse to believe that. I'm afraid though that it'll take a more horrific event to get our heads out this time. I've read that the Japanese thought us soft and decadent then. I'm afraid we're worse now but not beyond hope.

I think circumstances make heroes.

joe

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing that has always confused me was the hatred toward post-war Japanese products , especially motorcycles by the Harley crowd , yet German-made products for the most part , were accepted. Harley Davidson even had a model called the Fat Boy , an acronym for Fat Man and Little Boy , the code names for the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Ironically , or perhaps hypocritically , a good portion of the parts in those bikes were made in Japan. And the new machining centers used to make the major EVO motor parts were made by OKUMA , not a Milwaukee-based company.

My father , who fought in WWII , wounded during the Battle of the Bulge , and was a Liberator , who went into the concentration camps because he spoke fluent Polish (his parents came from Poland), had indifference to Japanese , but absolute seething hatred for Nazi Germans. We weren't even allowed to watch Hogan's Heroes growing up. He didn't find anything about POW camps funny.

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
One thing that has always confused me was the hatred toward post-war Japanese products , especially motorcycles by the Harley crowd , yet German-made products for the most part , were accepted. Harley Davidson even had a model called the Fat Boy , an acronym for Fat Man and Little Boy , the code names for the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Ironically , or perhaps hypocritically , a good portion of the parts in those bikes were made in Japan. And the new machining centers used to make the major EVO motor parts were made by OKUMA , not a Milwaukee-based company.

My father , who fought in WWII , wounded during the Battle of the Bulge , and was a Liberator , who went into the concentration camps because he spoke fluent Polish (his parents came from Poland), had indifference to Japanese , but absolute seething hatred for Nazi Germans. We weren't even allowed to watch Hogan's Heroes growing up. He didn't find anything about POW camps funny.
My grandmother felt the same about Hogan’s.
On the other maybe because they were the ones that attacked the homeland.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
9/11 was the second sucker punch. a much more elusive
and cowardly enemy.

if anyone finds the time watch the documentary "restrepo",
503rd inf reg, 173rd abn......grunts in the korengal valley
afghanistan.....you'll see some of the best this country has
to offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts