V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Start, I have an 07 Ultra that I am considering upgrading a bit. Currently I have V'H true duels, Reinhart slip ons, K&N Airfilter and fuel pac.
My local shop has a deal going on a complete 103 kit installed for $1500.00.
Question, Should I go to the 103, or just do Cams.
Either way, should I keep the Fuel pak, or switch to a P/c or race Tuner and he it dyno tuned.

I am looking for a bit more punch, without shortining the life of my ride.

Any advise would help

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
$1500 for just a 103 is high IMO, are you sure it's just a cubic inch upgrade? There's a lot better way to spend $1500.

For something to compare, you might want to read the ride report in my signature.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why go for big bore when you can get almost the same #'s from a cam and a supertrapp. You can tune the supertrapp for loudness or HP and TQ! AND you only have to clean 1 pipe!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
To Start, I have an 07 Ultra that I am considering upgrading a bit. Currently I have V'H true duels, Reinhart slip ons, K&N Airfilter and fuel pac.
My local shop has a deal going on a complete 103 kit installed for $1500.00.
Question, Should I go to the 103, or just do Cams.
Either way, should I keep the Fuel pak, or switch to a P/c or race Tuner and he it dyno tuned.

I am looking for a bit more punch, without shortining the life of my ride.

Any advise would help

What does the "complete 103 kit " include, entirely? Personally, I wouldn't just bore to a 103 and use stock cams. If that kit includes a cam choice with the boring and pistons, then that would be worth it. But, not much you can do for the tune with the fuel pak. Im sure there is a good map you can run with it, but I would be sure before I went ahead with the work. If you can, upgrade the tuner and get it dynoed by a reputable tuner. Then if you ever decide to do head work @ some point, you'll be ready to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
I contacted V/H, and they say they can map it for me. I am leaning more towards just cams, as recommended.
I worry about heat and other issues that come with boring....
Now I just need to figure which cams...

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Going to 103 wont cause as big of increase in heat as you may think, (it didnt in mine). If you get a tuning device (TTS,PC, SERT, etc) and someone that knows how to tune with it, you will be shocked at how it performs. Power and cooling both...And a canned map may end up making one cylinder lean and the other rich..You just never know...... Its hard to beat a custom dyno tuned map ,as each engine will be different... Good luck with your project...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts