V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm getting close to moving ahead with the full Stage 1 upgrade for my Street Bob. I have the SEII slip-ons (80258-99A) already installed. Just need to get the flash and A/C upgrade. As with the slip-ons, I'd like to do the A/C install myself to save the overpriced labor costs. That being said...

There is, of course, the SE Air Cleaner kit (29440-99C). Probably the most logical choice. However, it seems I'd be stuck with the football cover. Is this correct? It would be nice to leave that thing off. Can I do that?

Are there other cheaper options out there that will be as easy to install as the SE A/C? Do any of these other options have the open round look rather than the football thing?

I don't want to have to drill, fabricate, or othewise "tweak" the bike. I can bolt stuff on/off, but, I'm no wrench. So, I'm looking for the simplest options here.

Thanks in advance. I've been searching all over the forums but the information is buried over dozens of threads across multiple forums. I figure I'd stick with us Dyna guys. I'll probably come back in the future when I make my A/C purchase to go over EFI recal options (again, for mechanical dummies who don't want to pay labor).;)

Whiffleboy

·
Banned
154 Posts
ciginia1972 said:
i got the se air cleaner and the se pipes hate that football cover myself so i got a evo round cover and it works its on a 06 dyna too
I'm with ciginia on this one. Do the SE, and find ya a round cover. Their all over the place in a bunch of different colors, or just *ack* chrome.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
Alright, I'm getting close to moving ahead with the full Stage 1 upgrade for my Street Bob. I have the SEII slip-ons (80258-99A) already installed. Just need to get the flash and A/C upgrade. As with the slip-ons, I'd like to do the A/C install myself to save the overpriced labor costs. That being said...

There is, of course, the SE Air Cleaner kit (29440-99C). Probably the most logical choice. However, it seems I'd be stuck with the football cover. Is this correct? It would be nice to leave that thing off. Can I do that?

Are there other cheaper options out there that will be as easy to install as the SE A/C? Do any of these other options have the open round look rather than the football thing?

I don't want to have to drill, fabricate, or othewise "tweak" the bike. I can bolt stuff on/off, but, I'm no wrench. So, I'm looking for the simplest options here.

Thanks in advance. I've been searching all over the forums but the information is buried over dozens of threads across multiple forums. I figure I'd stick with us Dyna guys. I'll probably come back in the future when I make my A/C purchase to go over EFI recal options (again, for mechanical dummies who don't want to pay labor).;)

Whiffleboy
An 8" round cover would work well. It comes in wrinkle black (98 Night Train) or chrome (current HD P&A catalog-Nostalgic cover)

You might also want to go with a 'real' K&N air filter to replace the paper filter that comes with the SE kit. They have recenty begun making one for the SE EFI A/C kit, K&N P/N HD-0800. It has the required extra gasket needed for use with a round air cleaner cover already installed.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
I like the way that looks! What exactly am I looking at there (part numbers and such)?

Wrinkle black sounds very appealing too.

Thanks for the replies.

Whiff

Its the SE stage 1 intake, SE filter and the standard twin cam insert for the air filter cover bolted directly to the filter. Football kept falling off with the stage 1. Works good.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
LittleBear said:
Peacekeeper, how well does that work in the pouring rain?
Works fine, gets wet but dries right out. I cover it with plastic food wrap when I wash it but the rain does not hurt anything. If any rain is getting into the intake it isnt very much because it has no effect.

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, cool. So you can leave the football off. Not worrying about the rains, since we just don't get much of it here, I didn't even think about washing the dang thing. I guess saran wrap would work for that.

I'm wondering if the recalibration to the EFI can handle the extra intake of air with it wide open like that? I know you said it's working fine, so, I have no choice at the moment but to take your word for it.

Whiff

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
Oh, cool. So you can leave the football off. Not worrying about the rains, since we just don't get much of it here, I didn't even think about washing the dang thing. I guess saran wrap would work for that.

I'm wondering if the recalibration to the EFI can handle the extra intake of air with it wide open like that? I know you said it's working fine, so, I have no choice at the moment but to take your word for it.

Whiff
I have a DFO on my bike to richen it up along with V&H oval slip ons. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a PC or sert and a thunderheader. The dfo keeps crapping out and the oval sound like an empty 55 gallon drum. The football will eventually loosen with the se intake because the stock backplate that supports it is removed with the stage 1 kit. It seems to run better open, breathes cooler air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts