V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Dan, I am a 23 year old active duty Air Force F-15 crew chief soon to be stationed at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan. Coincidently there is a Harley dealer on base there...

I have been riding since 2000. My first bike was an '83 Honda Nighthawk 450, then short stints with an '81 Honda CB900F Super Sport and a Honda CB650 until I rode a '96 Honda VFR750 for about 30,000 miles.

I got into an unforunate accident on the Bay Bridge in San Francisco where I was pushed into the gaurd rail and alomost went over. Shortly after I sold the bike. At the thime I was already accepted into the Air Force and awaiting orders to boot camp. I figured I'd give riding a little break until I got settled into the military. I don't exaclty want to get back to the sport bike scene. IMHO, now, sport bikes only belong on the track.

In any case I was considering buying a Harley. With the limited research I've done (the HD website and CycleTrader.com) was thinking about the Dyna Super Glide. I am E-2 on a limited budget, but I also have no expenses other than a credit card bill and entertainment. I was looking to spend about $13K with a $14K no **** cap. I have about 45,000 miles under my belt and I can handle a big bike.

Any comments or words of advice about what I should or shouldn't do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and greetings to all,

Amn Dan Roy, USAF

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan, Welcome to the VTF. It sounds to me like you have plenty of riding experience to handle a Dyna. If I were you I would look around this forum, ask lots of questions (gobs of great advise here), then after you feel comfortable with what you want go for it. $13-$14K will get you a very decent HD.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
d-roc217 said:
Hi everyone. My name is Dan

Any comments or words of advice about what I should or shouldn't do would be greatly appreciated.
Yup!....get that Super and try not to get too many bugs in your teeth from the perma grin you will have to endure from riding it :yes:

Oh...and thanks for your service!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I spent 20+ years in the USN and in my honest opinion I would not take any bike I cared about to a Pacific Island nation. They have a lot of rain and the air has a lot of salt in it so anything you have over there is gonna rust. I was based on Guam for 2 years and I saw a lot of bikes come there looking good and leave 2 years later looking like scap metal. You can pick up a bike over there from someone who is leaving (there are always bikes for sale..usually pretty cheap) Then before you leave to come back to the states buy your Harley. :nope: :nope: -2$en#e- :chopper: :chopper:

d-roc217 said:
Hi everyone. My name is Dan, I am a 23 year old active duty Air Force F-15 crew chief soon to be stationed at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan. Coincidently there is a Harley dealer on base there...

I have been riding since 2000. My first bike was an '83 Honda Nighthawk 450, then short stints with an '81 Honda CB900F Super Sport and a Honda CB650 until I rode a '96 Honda VFR750 for about 30,000 miles.

I got into an unforunate accident on the Bay Bridge in San Francisco where I was pushed into the gaurd rail and alomost went over. Shortly after I sold the bike. At the thime I was already accepted into the Air Force and awaiting orders to boot camp. I figured I'd give riding a little break until I got settled into the military. I don't exaclty want to get back to the sport bike scene. IMHO, now, sport bikes only belong on the track.

In any case I was considering buying a Harley. With the limited research I've done (the HD website and CycleTrader.com) was thinking about the Dyna Super Glide. I am E-2 on a limited budget, but I also have no expenses other than a credit card bill and entertainment. I was looking to spend about $13K with a $14K no **** cap. I have about 45,000 miles under my belt and I can handle a big bike.

Thanks and greetings to all,

Amn Dan Roy, USAF

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dan: I just traded my 883 in on a 2006 Dyna Low Rider and absolutely love it. All the Dyna series bikes are decent and I had a tough decision but went with the low rider because it felt the best and I really liked the low seat height and low center of gravity. Good luck with your choice! KB Cleveland, Ohio

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Before saying hello I want to thank you for serving this great nation.
Thank you.

A basic dyna you can get on the cheap for an HD and then you can add as much chrome as your budget will permit or pipes / etc.

:welcome: to the forums.

·
Registered
260 Posts
was thinking about the Dyna Super Glide

I was looking to spend about $13K with a $14K no **** cap.
You can find these used for half that price if you look around. I paid $7,000 for my SuperGlide in great condition. Although, mine's the older FXR version, which many prefer, including myself.
I wouldn't keep a vehicle of value on a military reservation. I'm prior service. Young men in their late teens and early 20's drink in the parking lots. Things get broken. Parts get stolen. I saw it a hundred times.

Something as small as the OJ trial produced a rash of vehicle vandalism between soldiers when I was in.

Good Luck,
and thanks for your service.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am a TSgt stationed at Yokota (Tokyo). I did 4+ years on Kadena. Importing a bike to Japan can be VERY expensive. I wouldn't even consider it. What you could do would be to pick up a used Sporty once you get there (Okinawa isn't that big anyways) and save your COLA to buy on the Military Plan when you PCS out.

You can local purchase new Harleys there, but as was stated above, the climate and humidity of Okinawa is not at all friendly on chrome or any other metal, especially if you use a bike cover. It traps all the moisture right on the bike.

If you need any other info for your upcoming move, feel free to PM me and I will help you out as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
:welcome:
A FXDi is an excellent choice...although I may be biased. Somebody earlier suggested a used bike, or you may be able to find a dealer in your area with a new 2005 (that's what I have). You'll have no problem making the transition from a sportbike to a harley...you'll probably even ask yourself, why didin't I do this sooner?

You can do what I did, buy the FXDi and do upgrades (sorry megaglide for useing that term) to make it your own. I've probably spent an additional 3 grand on my bike getting it set up the way I want to be (since Nov of '04). I probably could have saved some coin on chrome had I bought the custom, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun (I did all the work, not the MoCo). Since your used to sportbike, you may want to look at adding a tach right off the bat (these things don't rev nearly as high as a crotchrocket does).

Other than that, have fun and get out there an ride!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Dan,

All the above is great advice. I'd think twice about the rust issue as it's indeed hard to stop in an island environment and you might find something used. The mil purchase plan is great - had a lot of Sailors do that when I was active duty. Super Glide's are great too. Do a little engine work and you'll have a perfect plain-jane sleeper... :whistle:

Thanks for your service.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Thanks for your service!! {salute( Great advice from all of the above. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
With all the other reasons aside, the salt/rust problem is going to be your main problem. My buddy had a sportster over there and when he got back stateside spent alot of coin on getting the chrome back up to snuff (replacing parts). If that sounds like something you are willing to do, go for it! You will have fun.

On a side note, what do you do? I have a few friend stationed at Kadena.

Welcome to the forum and to the USAF.....

·
USAF Dirt Boy
85 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan there is a wealth of information on this site. I have been in for 22 years between active and Guard time as a heavy equipment operator. One thing to remember when you hit your first duty station is to bring your Motorcycle Safety Course Card. It's like American Express now, can't leave home without it if your in the Military.
Good Luck on your new ride whatever you get and enjoy your first duty station.

BRG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigSwede, I am an F-15 crew chief, I will be working in the back shop. BlownRoadGlide, I never took the safety course, I only took the riding test at the DMV.

Thanks evryone for all of the input. I think I will probably get a cheap Japanese cruiser to ride while I'm over there and save my pennies for when I come back to the states. I hadn't considered the rust issue or the fact I will be living in the dorms with drunk, rowdy young men.

Thanks for all of the help!

Dan

·
Registered
600 Posts
d-roc217 said:
I never took the safety course, I only took the riding test at the DMV.
Contact the Wing Safety Office (it's across the main road from Burger King) and get enrolled in a class. They run them weekly for the entire Island, so there will probably be a waiting list.

You'll enjoy Okinawa ~!Awesome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts