V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my engine back together after a rear cam bearing failure and need some pointers! I have been following this Forum and H-D Forum like deputy dog and thanks for all the good info and things I didn't know. Last night I got the new pistons and cylinders on(1550 flat top SE and cylinders off e-Bay). As luck would have it, I dropped a piston pin circlip in the crankcase--oops--while installing the rear cylinder. Took my rags out too soon! Got it back, though with my handy flex magnet. I sweated that one for a while. Im using Cometic MLS .030 head gaskets and need to be sure that I don't need the small O-rings on the location studs. The instructions say not to use them. Going with a 37 An:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: drews chain drive cam, new inner and cam bearings, tensioners, baisley spring, rear cam drive gear of course and bolt upgrade for outer sprockets. Will I need to change the cam suppport plate? I have noticed that the post 99 cam plates have an additional oil passage. I had good oil pressure and found no metal in the oil or case during tear down.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
No o-rings with that gasket, you should see that the hole in the gasket for the dowel should fit the dowel with no room for an o-ring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gasket?

@gree: Thanks Baggersport. that was my thought too. There are tabs that extend from the gasket surface with copper brads that appear to hold the gasket together. They won't be visible when the head is on; are they an issue? :thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
As long as those rivits don't get caught between the head and cylinder it's not an issue. You can cut them off with sidecutters after you install the gasket if you want to.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Chains? Didn'tr you learn your lesson about HD engineering?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lesson Learned

:dunno: Lesson is that I have less money to spend on this fix than I'd like; especially since the moco should have recalled this problem. Talked to the Stealer today and he is going to try to get the MoCo to make some sorta compensation to me. While there I tried to get some cam bearings and the parts guy tried to sell me the same bearings that had failed. They are HD 8990 and the upgrade is HD 9198 which I think is a needle instead of roller bearing.
The parts guy said, "I can only sell the upgrade through the service department." Duh! What's with that? I checked at Zanotti's and they are available for $4.40 each. Am I getting the run around or what ? I continue to be amazed at the new Highley Davidson! I've been riding Hogs over 40 years so what do I know====

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Use the bearings that Andrews recommends.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
67xlch said:
:The parts guy said, "I can only sell the upgrade through the service department." Duh! ====
Tell them to pound sand. They are lying to you. I would be to puig headed to buisness with a place like that, not to mention you obviously can't trust them.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
The needle bearings are the inner bearins, the ones that goin the wall, or block of engine. On the ends of cams, on left side.

I am going to try and get this right.
With gears you go ball bearings, tighter tolerances, but can't take side loads of chains.

With chains, you change out rear bearing to roller, due to side lloading onbearing, but keep front bearing ball.

Somewhere in 01 they switched the rear to roller. Your bike had ball front and back.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Stock are INA, some people upgrade to Torrington.
Myself I am not going to pay randsom, they sold you the bad product to begin with. Thats just me, I don't deal with terrorist. But understand, sometimes, you jsut got to get thebike back on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts