V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help. My speedometer on my 99 superglide stopped working. When I enter diagnostic mode, the only error that I see is D02-Set. The rest (D01, and D03-D09) show CLR. After tracing the wires from the speedometer, I see that the one in question goes directly from the speedo into the transmission. There is a plug in the middle of that wire under the seat, which appears to be ok. Initial visual inspection of the wire appears ok, however I didn't remove the entire thing, so there could be a short somewhere allong the line, but very doubtful. The bike only has 8,000 miles.
The needle on the speedo doesn't work, nor does the odometer, however the light works fine. I assume the problem is with either the speedo itself, or the pickup unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I saw a prior post about the speedo pickup on the Twin Cam that goes into the transmission and picks up metal debris causing it to malfunction. (the pick up is magnetic) Just out of curiosity I pulled mine out and sure enough it was covered with a lot of fine shavings (13,000 miles) so I cleaned it off and reinstalled.

That was the symptom reported in the other post-failure of the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
BTW, the other post said when it failed you had to replace the pickup. Cleaning it off just helped it last longer before it failed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The sensor is magnetic and sits on the transmission at 4th gear (different position for 6 speeds) and has a little hole in it.
When this hole gets clogged with oil/metal debris the speedo will get sluggish or stop or go up to 30-40MPH even though you are going 65 and stop.. Pull the sensor out, cleanout the little hole and usually you're back in business.
It is a standard service point every 5000 miles to clean it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts