V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 RK Classic with the old style (I think) brake calipers. these are single piston calipers that are a pain in the @ss. My buddy has a 99 RK with the 2 piston calipers (I think the pad on the outside is the only one that moves, right?) These single piston calipers are horrible as far as the little anti-rattle clips keep breaking ... then the dang things just rattle like mad. I think the person that had this bike before me replaced the front end..?? It is a salvage bike but in great condition really. Nice and straight.. Had it checked out numerious times, can take my hands off the handlebars and tracks as straight as an arrow! Not concerned about that... just want to dump these brakes. Would anyone have the newer style brakes they would like to get out of their garage? maybe bought some chrome ones, pm , j-brake or something and replaced? Obviously I need to get new lowers also. Looking for those too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Can't help you with replacements. This is the first time I have seen anyone with this problem. It makes me wonder if a daub of disk brake lube on the the contact spots of the springs might slow the wear or if the springs can be installed 2 ways and the way they are now puts extra strain on them. As you seem pretty well set on replacement, this might make the wait a little less troublesome.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
google for fabkevin. he can hook ya up. nissin calipers and master cylinder off a japazookie will haul her down!!

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I think the mounts may be different, as your caliper will move left/right.....the 4 piston caliper is fixed. You'll need new fork lowers.
I have the single piston setup on my King....and it will stop on a dime, plus give you change back. Never broke the clip...32k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts